The New York Dolls
- Principal Members
- David Johansen
- Arthur Kane
- Billy Murcia
- Jerry Nolan
- Sylvain Sylvain
- Johnny Thunders
The New York Dolls are a rock band formed in New York City in 1971. During 2004 the band reformed with three of their original members, two of whom, David Johansen and Sylvain Sylvain, continue on today and released a new album in 2006.
The band found little commercial success during their existence, but the New York Dolls prefigured much of what was to come in the punk rock era and even later; the Dolls' over-the-top crossdressing influenced the look of many new wave and glam metal groups, and their shambling, sloppy but highly energetic playing style set the tone for many later rock and roll bands...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1971 Play their first gig at a homeless shelter on Xmas Eve
- 1972 Drummer Billy Murcia dies and is replaced by Jerry Nolan
- 1973 Simultaneously voted both best and worst new band in Creem magazine
- 1974 Dropped by their label, Malcolm McLaren becomes their manager
- 1975 Thunders and Nolan leave to form the Heartbreakers
- 1977 The Dolls split
- 1987 Johansen enjoys commercial success as Buster Poindexter
- 1991 Thunders dies of an overdose - Nolan dies a few months later
- 2004 Reform at the request of Morrissey in London, Kane dies soon after
- 2007 Still on tour
The New York Dolls
Trashy, heavy, camp and massively influential.
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 Personality Crisis played 544 times
- 2 Trash played 348 times
- 3 Looking For A Kiss played 333 times
- 4 Pills played 247 times
- 5 Jet Boy played 220 times
- 6 Bad Girl played 206 times
- 7 Vietnamese Baby played 204 times
- 8 Subway Train played 173 times
- 9 Lonely Planet Boy played 169 times
- 10 Private World played 143 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.