You need to upgrade your Flash Player
In order to view this video please get flash.
- Principal Members
- Bill Berry
- Peter Buck
- Mike Mills
- Michael Stipe
R.E.M. is an American rock band formed in Athens, Georgia, in early 1980 by drummer Bill Berry, guitarist Peter Buck, bassist Mike Mills, and vocalist Michael Stipe.
Throughout the 1980s, following the release of their debut EP Chronic Town in 1982, the band issued six albums in as many years, from Murmur in 1983 through 1988's Green. They also toured constantly, playing a variety of venues, from theaters to backwoods dives...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1980 Formed while at University in Athens, Georgia
- 1982 Sign with IRS records
- 1983 Debut 'Murmur' is named album of the year by Rolling Stone
- 1987 Begin their partnership with producer Scott Litt
- 1987 R.E.M. release 'Document'
- 1988 Sign with Warner Bros
- 1989 R.E.M. change direction with 'Out of Time'
- 1995 Bill Berry collapses on stage with a brain aneurysm
- 1996 Re-sign with Warners for a reported $80m
- 1997 Berry leaves amicably
- 2001 Play to 20,000 people at a free gig in Trafalgar Square
- 2003 Berry rejoins the band for the first of a few gigs
Post punk comes of age in R.E.M's debut; introspective, moody and massively influential.
The band's first recording with Scott Litt and their first to go platinum.
Their first for Warners; a bigger, slicker sound that made the band a major league act.
Out Of Time
Their first number one on both sides of the Atlantic. Eclectic, sophisticated and essential.
Automatic For The People
A more melancholic, acoustic effort yielding 6 singles; supposedly the inspiration for Nirvana's decision to go Unplugged.
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 Losing My Religion played 4,894 times
- 2 Everybody Hurts played 3,361 times
- 3 Man on the Moon played 2,901 times
- 4 Nightswimming played 2,047 times
- 5 Imitation of Life played 1,963 times
- 6 Bad Day played 1,687 times
- 7 The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonite played 1,509 times
- 8 Orange Crush played 1,427 times
- 9 Drive played 1,390 times
- 10 What's the Frequency, Kenneth? played 1,360 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.