Born 30th Dec, 1946
- Songwriter, vocalist, poet
Patricia Lee ('Patti') Smith (born 30th December, 1946) is an American musician, singer, and poet.
Smith came to prominence during the punk movement with her 1975 debut album Horses. Called 'punk rock's poet laureate', she brought a feminist and intellectual take to punk music and became one of rock and roll's most influential musicians.
Although Smith's success has been limited in commercial terms (she has never had an RIAA certified record and has had just one Top 20 single), she is often regarded as one of the most influential artists in rock history...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1974 Teams up with guitarist Lenny Kaye
- 1974 'Piss Factory/Hey Joe' released
- 1974 Smith contributes lyrics to Blue Oyster Cult
- 1975 Signs to Arista Records
- 1975 Patti Smith's 'Horses' released
- 1977 Smith breaks her neck falling off stage
- 1978 'Because The Night' reaches #5 in the UK chart
- 1988 Returns to recording after an eight year break
- 1994 Suffers the loss of both her husband and brother
- 1995 Tours with Bob Dylan
- 2006 Performed the final show at Manhattan's CBGB
- 2007 Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 Gloria played 838 times
- 2 Because the Night played 801 times
- 3 Free Money played 611 times
- 4 Smells Like Teen Spirit played 508 times
- 5 Redondo Beach played 474 times
- 6 Gimme Shelter played 393 times
- 7 Kimberly played 381 times
- 8 Birdland played 380 times
- 9 Are You Experienced? played 368 times
- 10 White Rabbit played 361 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.