You need to upgrade your Flash Player
In order to view this video please get flash.
- Principal Members
- Kurt Cobain
- Dave Grohl
- Krist Novoselic
Nirvana was an American rock band originating from Aberdeen, Washington. With the lead single 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' from their 1991 album Nevermind, Nirvana exploded into the mainstream, bringing along with it a subgenre of alternative rock called 'grunge'. Other Seattle grunge bands such as Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden also gained in popularity, and, as a result, alternative rock became a dominant genre on radio and music television in the United States during the early-to-middle 1990s.
As Nirvana's frontman, Kurt Cobain found himself referred to in the media as the 'spokesman of a generation', with Nirvana the 'flagship band' of 'Generation X'...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1989 'Bleach' released on Sub Pop
- 1990 Drummer Chad Channing replaced by Dave Grohl
- 1990 Sonic Youth recommend the band to Geffen Records
- 1991 'Nevermind' is certified triple platinum 6 months after its release
- 1992 A classic performance at Reading Festival
- 1993 'In Utero' released
- 1993 Pat Smear added as second guitarist for live shows
- 1994 Kurt Cobain commits suicide
Formative, but compelling stuff.
Powerful and hugely influential - a classic in every sense of the word.
The difficult third album. Confrontational and raw thanks to Steve Albini's influence.
A gentler but no less passionate Cobain in fine form. Released after his death and a fitting epitaph.
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 Come as You Are played 9,350 times
- 2 Smells Like Teen Spirit played 9,197 times
- 3 Lithium played 6,995 times
- 4 Rape Me played 5,758 times
- 5 Polly played 5,665 times
- 6 In Bloom played 5,500 times
- 7 About a Girl played 5,470 times
- 8 All Apologies played 5,160 times
- 9 Dumb played 4,896 times
- 10 The Man Who Sold the World played 4,543 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.