- Principal Members
- Ritchie Blackmore
- David Coverdale
- Rod Evans
- Ian Gillan
- Roger Glover
- Glenn Hughes
- Jon Lord
- Steve Morse
- Ian Paice
Deep Purple are an English hard rock band formed in London in 1968. Along with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath, they are considered one of the pioneers of heavy metal and hard rock.
The band has gone through many line-up changes, including the band split for eight years and two reunions. Their second, and most commercially successful line-up featured: Ian Gillan (lead vocals), Ritchie Blackmore (guitar), Jon Lord (keyboard), Roger Glover (bass guitar) and Ian Paice (drums)...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1968 Form initially as Roundabout
- 1969 Vocalist Rod Evans is replaced with Ian Gillan
- 1972 Deep Purple release 'Machine Head'
- 1973 Gillan and Roger Glover are replaced by David Coverdale and Glenn Hughes
- 1975 Blackmore quits and is replaced by Tommy Bolin
- 1976 The band dissolve, Bolin dies at the age of 25
- 1980 Rod Evans tours under the name of Purple until legal action stops him
- 1984 Reform with Gillan, Blackmore and Glover
- 1989 Gillan is fired, then rejoins
- 1993 Blackmore leaves, Steve Morse joins
- 2002 Jon Lord retires and is repaced by Don Airey
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 Smoke on the Water played 4,021 times
- 2 Highway Star played 1,929 times
- 3 Child in Time played 1,676 times
- 4 Hush played 1,415 times
- 5 Burn played 1,083 times
- 6 Black Night played 1,059 times
- 7 Lazy played 816 times
- 8 Space Truckin' played 815 times
- 9 Perfect Strangers played 814 times
- 10 Fireball played 813 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.