Born 8th Jan, 1947
David Bowie (born David Robert Jones on 8th January 1947) is an English Grammy Award-winning singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist, producer, arranger and audio engineer.
Active in five decades of rock and roll, and frequently re-inventing his music and image, Bowie is widely regarded as an influential innovator, particularly for his work through the 1970s. Bowie has taken cues from a wide range of fine art, philosophy and literature.
He is also a film and stage actor, music video director and visual artist...
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1969 'Space Oddity' released
- 1970 Begins collaborating with guitarist Mick Ronson and forms Hype
- 1972 'Ziggy Stardust' debuts
- 1972 Ziggy and Roxy at the Rainbow
- 1973 Bowie retires Ziggy and The Spiders
- 1976 Causes controversy with comments about Hitler
- 1977 Records in Berlin with Eno
- 1985 Bowie does Live Aid
- 1989 Forms Tin Machine
- 1997 Bowie releases the single 'Telling Lies' online
- 2006 Given Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award
Space Age easy listening; lush, whimsical and a little bit edgy.
Bowie tips his hat to the Velvets and Andy Warhol among others and paves the way for Ziggy.
Glam, futuristic and a lot of fun. Mick Ronson's finest hour.
Bowie, Eno and Visconti's bleak and beautiful masterpiece. Incalculably influential.
- Related programme
- On the BBC
- On the web
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 Ziggy Stardust played 4,652 times
- 2 Space Oddity played 3,759 times
- 3 Changes played 3,696 times
- 4 Starman played 3,252 times
- 5 Suffragette City played 3,104 times
- 6 Life On Mars? played 2,361 times
- 7 Rebel Rebel played 2,244 times
- 8 Heroes played 2,218 times
- 9 Let's Dance played 1,995 times
- 10 Ashes to Ashes played 1,974 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.