You need to upgrade your Flash Player
In order to view this video please get flash.
- Principal Members
- Geezer Butler
- Ronnie James Dio
- Ian Gillan
- Tony Iommi
- Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath are an English heavy metal band from Birmingham. The original band line up of Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar), Terence 'Geezer' Butler (bass), and Bill Ward (drums) is the same as the current line up (2007) although there have been shifts of personnel in between.
Black Sabbath remain a dominant influence in the genre they helped create. VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock ranks them second, behind Led Zeppelin.
This entry is from Wikipedia, the user-contributed encyclopedia. It may not have been reviewed by professional editors (more info) and is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. Any changes made to the Wikipedia article will not be immediately reflected here.
- 1966 Formed in Birmingham, UK as Polka Tulk, then Earth
- 1970 'Black Sabbath' released on Friday 13th February
- 1971 'Paranoid' goes to #4 in the UK singles chart
- 1979 Osbourne is asked to leave and is replaced by Ronnie James Dio
- 1980 Bill Ward leaves temporarily
- 1982 Dio leaves, Ian Gillan replaces him
- 1984 Gillan leaves
- 1985 Original line-up reforms for Live Aid
- 1985 Butler quits temporarily, and later tours with Osbourne's band
- 1992 Rob Halford performs with Sabbath for one gig
- 1992 Osbourne pulls out of plans to record with the band
- 1995 'Forbidden' released - the last Sabbath album to date
- 2005 Inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame
Sabbath bludgeon the blues into something dark, scary and deeply influential.
Sabbath leave the blues behind and score a hit single.
Sabbath hint at prog and even classical influences, but still manage to rock...
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Rick Wakeman adds prog cred on keyboards - their most accomplished, inventive work.
- Related programme
- On the BBC
- On the web
These pictures are photos that have been uploaded by the public to Flickr, the photosharing website. Click on a photo to see the large image there.
These pictures are not hosted by the BBC. Please alert us if you spot anything inappropriate. This product uses the Flickr API but is not endorsed or certified by Flickr.
Top 10 Tracks
These are the tracks that are most listened to by users of Last.FM.
- 1 Paranoid played 5,290 times
- 2 Iron Man played 3,460 times
- 3 War Pigs played 2,700 times
- 4 Electric Funeral played 1,753 times
- 5 Planet Caravan played 1,750 times
- 6 Black Sabbath played 1,612 times
- 7 Children of the Grave played 1,567 times
- 8 The Wizard played 1,562 times
- 9 Sweet Leaf played 1,561 times
- 10 Heaven and Hell played 1,317 times
This chart is not created by the BBC and is only reflective of the listening habits of users of Last.FM.