Béla Bartók Biography (BBC)
Without doubt the greatest Hungarian composer of the 20th century, Bartók was also a formidably accomplished pianist and a renowned collector and arranger of folk song from Hungary and beyond. And, of course, he taught.
Bartók learnt the piano and began composing at a very young age. He went on to study at the Budapest Academy of Music but was slow in developing his own musical language. His most accomplished pre-Academy works show the influence of Brahms and Schumann; those of his student years betray the marks of Richard Strauss. The subject matter of the early symphonic poem Kossuth was already unmistakably Hungarian, but it wasn’t until 1904 that Bartók heard his first genuine Hungarian folk song. The deep acquaintance with his native folk music resonated in his own work. He had found his real musical identity and proved as much in a sequence of hugely accomplished scores: the First and Second String Quartets (1909 and 1914–17), the one-act opera Duke Bluebeard’s Castle (1911), and the ballets The Wooden Prince (1914–17) and The Miraculous Mandarin (1918–19).
His fame as both composer and pianist spread fast. Between 1926 and 1931 he wrote the first two of his three piano concertos as vehicles for his own playing. Typically, though, he resisted adopting the life of a touring composer-virtuoso. He continued with his folk-music studies and with developing his own musical language, exploring the nature of variation, the viability of symmetrical forms and a whole array of novel sounds in pieces such as the Third, Fourth and Fifth Quartets (1927, 1928, 1934), the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta (1936) and the Sonata for two pianos and percussion (1937). His later music veers towards a more diatonic sound-world, though formal process and proportion always remained important issues.
Bartók fled to the USA in 1940. Although he found work lecturing and giving concerts, he failed to re-establish his reputation. Depression, financial worries and severe health problems followed. He died in New York on 26 September 1945 from leukaemia, leaving his Third Piano Concerto 17 bars short of completion and his Viola Concerto still in sketch form. Thanks to a far-sighted commission from the Koussevitzky Foundation, though, he had in 1943 completed his Concerto for Orchestra, a masterpiece that betrays no sign of the distress that this sensitive, reluctant émigré was suffering.
Profile by Stephen Pettitt © BBC
Béla Bartók Biography (Wikipedia)
Béla Viktor János Bartók (25 March 1881 – 26 September 1945) was a Hungarian composer and pianist. He is considered one of the most important composers of the 20th century; he and Liszt are regarded as Hungary's greatest composers (Gillies 2001). Through his collection and analytical study of folk music, he was one of the founders of comparative musicology, which later became ethnomusicology.
- Bartok: Duke Bluebeard’s Castle (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntsz3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntsz3.jpg2016-04-18T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nv1p5
Bartok: Duke Bluebeard’s Castle (extract)
- Bartok: Piano Concerto No 2https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p038qt83.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p038qt83.jpg2015-11-21T17:13:00.000ZBuilding a Library compares recordings of Bartok's Second Piano Concert and makes a recommendation.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p038qt85
Bartok: Piano Concerto No 2
- Bartók: Out of doors, Sz.81https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0322rq4.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0322rq4.jpg2015-09-10T11:26:00.000ZWith Tomoki Kitamura (piano). Leeds International Piano Competition 2015, semi-final. Recorded 7 September 2015.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03237fl
Bartók: Out of doors, Sz.81
- Composer of the Week: Bela Bartokhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02hq8mf.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02hq8mf.jpg2015-01-30T13:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the life and career of Hungarian composer Bela Bartokhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02hq92b
Composer of the Week: Bela Bartok
- Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celestahttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02hl1ft.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02hl1ft.jpg2015-01-24T16:07:00.000ZRob Cowan joins Andrew McGregor for a live edition of Building a Library comparing recordings of the Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta by Bela Bartok.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02hl1h7
Bartok: Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta
- Bartok: Concerto for Orchestrahttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vzz5g.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vzz5g.jpg2014-07-11T16:11:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Tom Service talks about Bartok's Concerto for Orchestrahttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p022nrlz
Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra
- Bartok: Piano Concerto No. 2https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w01bg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w01bg.jpg2014-07-11T16:02:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Tom Service talks about Bartok's second piano concerto.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p022nr41
Bartok: Piano Concerto No. 2
- Bartok: Piano Concerto No. 3https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxb1y.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxb1y.jpg2014-07-11T15:56:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Tom Service talks about Bartok's Piano Concerto No. 3.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p022nq9b
Bartok: Piano Concerto No. 3
- Concerto Grosso and Beyondhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01zvwjk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01zvwjk.jpg2014-05-27T16:57:00.000ZCharles Hazlewood explores the Concerto Grosso.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01zvwpg
Concerto Grosso and Beyond
- Bartok: Dance Suitehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vlfpl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vlfpl.jpg2014-05-08T19:27:00.000ZCharles Hazlewood reveals how Bartok drew on folk traditions in shaping his Dance Suite.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01yqyry
Bartok: Dance Suite
- Bartok: Divertimentohttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vlr2z.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vlr2z.jpg2014-05-08T19:17:00.000ZMartin Handley and the BBC SSO explore Bartok's Divertimento.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01yqy6v
- Bartok: Music for Strings Percussion and Celestehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vlsbf.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vlsbf.jpg2014-05-08T18:47:00.000ZThe Northern Sinfonia and conductor Thomas Zehetmair with a workshop on the popular piece.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01yqw2g
Bartok: Music for Strings Percussion and Celeste
- Bartok: String Quartet No. 2https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vltb1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vltb1.jpg2014-05-08T18:03:00.000ZStephen Johnson and the Ebene Quartet probe Bela Bartok's second String Quartet.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01yqt9m
Bartok: String Quartet No. 2
- Bela Bartokhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01xys1x.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01xys1x.jpg2014-04-25T12:17:00.000ZThe life and work of Hungarian composer and pianist Béla Bartókhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01xys2s
- Bartok: Dance Suitehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxnv7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxnv7.jpg2014-03-23T12:14:00.000ZRob Cowan provides a personal recommendation from recordings of Bartok's Dance Suitehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01w3jlx
Bartok: Dance Suite
- Bartok: Concerto for orchestrahttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxtxl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxtxl.jpg2014-02-26T16:13:00.000ZRob Cowan provides a personal recommendation from the available recordings of Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01sxv2y
Bartok: Concerto for orchestra
Béla Bartók Tracks
Past BBC Events
Winter Proms 1935–6: Prom 08
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Watch: Schoenberg's explosive Verklärte Nacht
The Listening Service Extra 12 of 12 - Schoenberg’s Compositional Vision (ONLINE EXCLUSIVE)
The Listening Service Extra 11 of 12 - Twelve-tone music and its reception
The Listening Service Extra 10 of 12 - Do the correct notes matter?
The Listening Service Extra 9 of 12 - Tennis Partners
28 minutes of pure luxuriousness - Schoenberg's 'Verklärte Nacht' (Transfigured Night)
How does Arnold Schoenberg take the fun out of Tiddlywinks?
The Listening Service Extra 7 of 12 - Expressive Melodies
Checkmate! Schoenberg vs. Chess