Leos Janacek Biography (Wikipedia)
Leoš Janáček (, baptised Leo Eugen Janáček; 3 July 1854 – 12 August 1928) was a Czech composer, musical theorist, folklorist, publicist and teacher. He was inspired by Moravian and other Slavic folk music to create an original, modern musical style.
Until 1895 he devoted himself mainly to folkloristic research and his early musical output was influenced by contemporaries such as Antonín Dvořák. His later, mature works incorporate his earlier studies of national folk music in a modern, highly original synthesis, first evident in the opera Jenůfa, which was premiered in 1904 in Brno. The success of Jenůfa (often called the "Moravian national opera") at Prague in 1916 gave Janáček access to the world's great opera stages. Janáček's later works are his most celebrated. They include operas such as Káťa Kabanová and The Cunning Little Vixen, the Sinfonietta, the Glagolitic Mass, the rhapsody Taras Bulba, two string quartets, and other chamber works. Along with Antonín Dvořák and Bedřich Smetana, he is considered one of the most important Czech composers.
- "Perhaps only Verdi can match such late achievements..."https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01j0rp3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01j0rp3.jpg2016-10-10T16:47:00.000ZRichard Sisson on Janacek at 70 - part of Radio 3's 70th birthday celebrations.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04bmlz8
"Perhaps only Verdi can match such late achievements..."
- Proms interval talks: The Makropulos Affair Consideredhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpg2016-08-20T10:11:00.000ZLouise Fryer talks to Janacek experts Nigel Simeone and Jan Smaczny.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0459z8l
Proms interval talks: The Makropulos Affair Considered
- Janáčekhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01r4j1n.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01r4j1n.jpg2016-08-19T12:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores Janáček's life through his instrumental and small compositions.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p044bmys
- Janacek: The Makropulos Affair (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03phx70.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03phx70.jpg2016-04-19T11:00:00.000ZHear this music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03phyc6
Janacek: The Makropulos Affair (extract)
- Leos Janacekhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p023knwl.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p023knwl.jpg2014-07-25T12:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod celebrates the life and music of Czech composer Leos Janacekhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p023kp3y
- Janacek: Glagolitic Masshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01ssxq0.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01ssxq0.jpg2014-07-09T13:46:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Suzy Klein talks about Janacek's Glagolitic Mass.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p022hjjl
Janacek: Glagolitic Mass
- Leos Janacekhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01z2szg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01z2szg.jpg2014-05-14T15:48:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the brilliant, tempestuous last five years of the life of Janacek.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01z2t1l
- Janacek: Glagolitic Masshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01yx1sq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01yx1sq.jpg2014-05-11T08:20:00.000ZStephen Johnson explores Janacek's Glagolitic Mass.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01yx1sw
Janacek: Glagolitic Mass
- Janacek: String Quartetshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01trsw7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01trsw7.jpg2014-03-12T16:10:00.000ZIvan Hewett provides a personal recommendation from recordings of Janacek's two string quartets.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01trsxq
Janacek: String Quartets
- Janáček: Sinfonietta - Preview Cliphttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T14:21:00.000ZListen to an excerpt from Janáček's Sinfonietta.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01nh77r
Janáček: Sinfonietta - Preview Clip
Leos Janacek Tracks
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Matthew Rose sings from 'one of the greatest pieces of art ever created'
Schubert: Fantasy in C, D934 for violin and piano
Stuart Cosgrove | My Music
Madrigal for violin and viola...and a naughty string!
Proms interval talk: Bartók and Duke Bluebeard's Castle
Schubert: Symphony No. 9 in C major, 'Great' (in binaural sound)
Soothing Schubert song from baritone Marcus Farnsworth
Kathryn Rudge sings Schubert