- Clips (5)Latest ClipThe Funk & Soul Years - 1968
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- The Funk & Soul Years - 1968http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02jhwjv.jpg2015-02-07T20:50:00ZCraig takes you back to 1968 for The Funk & Soul Years.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/e22d2f66-881e-41ca-9356-544697ee5f90?clipfocus=p02jhwk7Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 13 mins
The Funk & Soul Years - 1968
- Etta James is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Famehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01l8gz0.jpg2013-11-10T20:59:00ZValerie Corby of Taunton nominates Etta James for a place in Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame on Radio 2http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/e22d2f66-881e-41ca-9356-544697ee5f90?clipfocus=p01l8h0qSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 2 mins
Etta James is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame
- Etta James - The Jazz House Pocket Legendhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cf90v.jpg2012-02-24T00:00:25ZStephen Duffy pays tribute to the late Etta James in this week's pocket legend.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/e22d2f66-881e-41ca-9356-544697ee5f90?clipfocus=p00pgf89Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 13 mins
Etta James - The Jazz House Pocket Legend
- Etta James - A tribute by Paul Joneshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cdy70.jpg2012-01-30T19:00:00ZPaul Jones pays tribute to the late and great Etta James. Etta was gloriously able to sing in a huge number of Genres including blues, rhythm and blues, rock and roll, soul, gospel and jazz.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/e22d2f66-881e-41ca-9356-544697ee5f90?clipfocus=p00nr8pgSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 19 mins
Etta James - A tribute by Paul Jones
- Etta James Tributehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cdrpw.jpg2012-01-20T00:00:42ZEtta James' friends and colleagues celebrate her life in music.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/e22d2f66-881e-41ca-9356-544697ee5f90?clipfocus=p00nfr1nSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 4 mins
Etta James Tribute
Clips from Similar Artists
Etta James (born Jamesetta Hawkins; January 25, 1938 – January 20, 2012) was an American singer. Her style spanned a variety of music genres including blues, R&B, soul, rock and roll, jazz and gospel. Starting her career in 1954, she gained fame with hits such as "The Wallflower", "At Last", "Tell Mama", "Something's Got a Hold on Me", and "I'd Rather Go Blind" for which she wrote the lyrics. She faced a number of personal problems, including drug addiction, before making a musical resurgence in the late 1980s with the album Seven Year Itch.
James is regarded as having bridged the gap between rhythm and blues and rock and roll, and was the winner of six Grammys and 17 Blues Music Awards. She was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, the Blues Hall of Fame in 2001, and the Grammy Hall of Fame in both 1999 and 2008. Rolling Stone ranked James number 22 on their list of the 100 Greatest Singers of All Time and number 62 on the list of the 100 Greatest Artists.