- Clips (5)Latest ClipCarl Maria von Weber
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Carl Maria von Weberhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02lrmjc.jpg2015-03-20T13:00:00ZDonald Macleod explores works by Carl Maria von Weberhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/c2d17829-1424-435b-9386-c77d3a920abe?clipfocus=p02mdcs3Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 hour
Carl Maria von Weber
- Weber: Der Freischutzhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01tn2n3.jpg2014-07-02T10:25:00ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Tom Service talks about Weber's Der Freischutz.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/c2d17829-1424-435b-9386-c77d3a920abe?clipfocus=p0220fdvSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 3 mins
Weber: Der Freischutz
- Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826)http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p020byjy.jpg2014-06-04T14:41:00ZDonald Macleod explores the life and work of Carl Maria von Weber, a German composer, conductor and pianist of the early Romantic period.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/c2d17829-1424-435b-9386-c77d3a920abe?clipfocus=p020bykpSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 54 mins
Carl Maria von Weber (1786-1826)
- The Romantic Hornhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sjyn3.jpg2014-06-04T09:48:00ZCharles Hazlewood considers the significance of the horn to early Romantic composers.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/c2d17829-1424-435b-9386-c77d3a920abe?clipfocus=p020bf20Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 hour
The Romantic Horn
- Karita Mattila sings Weberhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p016dc48.jpg1983-07-24T09:00:00ZFinland's Karita Mattila performs Leise, Leise from Weber's Der Freischütz, in the 1983 final.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/c2d17829-1424-435b-9386-c77d3a920abe?clipfocus=p016dc4wSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 8 mins
Karita Mattila sings Weber
Clips from Similar Artists
Carl Maria Friedrich Ernst von Weber (18 or 19 November 1786 – 5 June 1826) was a German composer, conductor, pianist, guitarist and critic, one of the first significant composers of the Romantic school.
Weber's operas Der Freischütz, Euryanthe and Oberon greatly influenced the development of the Romantische Oper (Romantic opera) in Germany. Der Freischütz came to be regarded as the first German "nationalist" opera, Euryanthe developed the Leitmotif technique to an unprecedented degree, while Oberon may have influenced Mendelssohn's music for A Midsummer Night's Dream and, at the same time, revealed Weber's lifelong interest in the music of non-Western cultures. This interest was first manifested in Weber's incidental music for Schiller's translation of Gozzi's Turandot, for which he used a Chinese melody, making him the first Western composer to use an Asian tune that was not of the pseudo-Turkish kind popularized by Mozart and others.
A brilliant pianist himself, Weber composed four sonatas, two concertos and the Konzertstück in F minor (concert piece), which influenced composers such as Chopin, Liszt and Mendelssohn. The Konzertstück provided a new model for the one-movement concerto in several contrasting sections (such as Liszt's, who often played the work), and was acknowledged by Stravinsky as the model for his Capriccio for Piano and Orchestra. Weber's shorter piano pieces, such as the Invitation to the Dance, were later orchestrated by Berlioz, while his Polacca Brillante was later set for piano and orchestra by Liszt.