Igor Stravinsky Biography (Wikipedia)
Igor Fyodorovich Stravinsky (sometimes spelled Strawinski, Strawinsky, or Stravinskii; Russian: И́горь Фёдорович Страви́нский, Igorʹ Fëdorovič Stravinskij;; 17 June [O.S. 5 June] 1882 – 6 April 1971) was a Russian-born composer, pianist, and conductor. He is widely considered one of the most important and influential composers of the 20th century.
Stravinsky's compositional career was notable for its stylistic diversity. He first achieved international fame with three ballets commissioned by the impresario Sergei Diaghilev and first performed in Paris by Diaghilev's Ballets Russes: The Firebird (1910), Petrushka (1911) and The Rite of Spring (1913). The last of these transformed the way in which subsequent composers thought about rhythmic structure and was largely responsible for Stravinsky's enduring reputation as a musical revolutionary who pushed the boundaries of musical design. His "Russian phase" which continued with works such as Renard, The Soldier's Tale and Les Noces, was followed in the 1920s by a period in which he turned to neoclassical music. The works from this period tended to make use of traditional musical forms (concerto grosso, fugue and symphony), drawing on earlier styles, especially from the 18th century. In the 1950s, Stravinsky adopted serial procedures. His compositions of this period shared traits with examples of his earlier output: rhythmic energy, the construction of extended melodic ideas out of a few two- or three-note cells and clarity of form, and of instrumentation.
- Stravinsky: The Rake's Progresshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqkcw.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqkcw.jpg2016-11-12T12:02:00.000ZBuilding a Library compares recordings of Stravinsky’s The Rake’s Progress.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04g2sk5
Stravinsky: The Rake's Progress
- Proms interval talk: Exploring Stravinsky's Rite of Springhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpg2016-08-08T11:07:00.000ZChristopher Cook talks to Jonathan Cross, author of the 2015 biography 'Igor Stravinsky', about the composer's controversial score for the ballet 'The Rite of Spring'.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p043zvx2
Proms interval talk: Exploring Stravinsky's Rite of Spring
- Chord Of The Week - Programme 3https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p044lj4n.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p044lj4n.jpg2016-08-06T19:00:00.000ZDavid Owen Norris presents Chord of The Week. This week examining Stravinksky's Petrushka.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p043pdnq
Chord Of The Week - Programme 3
- Stravinsky and the Symphonyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02dzcg2.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02dzcg2.jpg2016-07-01T12:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores Igor Stravinsky's life through his five symphonieshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03zb69m
Stravinsky and the Symphony
- Stravinsky: the hippest composer who ever lived?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03twmn3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03twmn3.jpg2016-05-12T08:29:00.000ZSara Mohr-Pietsch explores the myths and rituals of Stravinsky's music, with fantastic archive footage of the great composer.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03twn8d
Stravinsky: the hippest composer who ever lived?
- Stravinsky: Concerto in E flat major 'Dumbarton Oaks'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03xs80d.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03xs80d.jpg2016-04-26T14:35:00.000ZSarah discovers a typical example of the neoclassical style in Stravinsky’s Bach-inspired Dumbarton Oaks.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03xpg3f
Stravinsky: Concerto in E flat major 'Dumbarton Oaks'
- Stravinsky: Firebird (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nv418.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nv418.jpg2016-04-18T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nv6vk
Stravinsky: Firebird (extract)
- Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nv8bv.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nv8bv.jpg2016-04-18T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nv8f9
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring (extract)
- Stravinsky: Petrushka (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntz89.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ntz89.jpg2016-04-18T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nv27c
Stravinsky: Petrushka (extract)
- Stravinsky: Pulcinella - suite (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nsxhh.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nsxhh.jpg2016-04-17T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Promshttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nsxtw
Stravinsky: Pulcinella - suite (extract)
- BBC SSO & Big Noise: Stravinsky - The Firebirdhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02pt0f3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02pt0f3.jpg2015-04-24T15:16:00.000ZOn the 8th of March 2015 young performers from Sistema Scotland’s Big Noise project in Raploch joined forces with the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02pxcvq
BBC SSO & Big Noise: Stravinsky - The Firebird
- Claudia Winkleman introduces Stravinsky's 'The Firebird'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02flmhk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02flmhk.jpg2014-12-19T11:43:00.000ZLearn the story behind Stravinsky's 'Firebird' in this beautiful clip with animation.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02flmpj
Claudia Winkleman introduces Stravinsky's 'The Firebird'
- Stravinsky: Petrushkahttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01tn20n.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01tn20n.jpg2014-11-08T09:00:00.000ZMartin Cotton compares recordings of Stravinsky’s Petrushka and makes a recommendation.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02bf1l6
- Stravinsky: life and work to the end of WW Ihttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0246gm0.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0246gm0.jpg2014-08-08T12:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores Igor Stravinsky's life and work up to the end of World War Ihttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p024c5z7
Stravinsky: life and work to the end of WW I
- Stravinsky: The Rite of Springhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p022502j.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p022502j.jpg2014-07-04T11:46:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Tom Service talks about Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02250d4
Stravinsky: The Rite of Spring
- Stravinsky: Firebirdhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0224y7l.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0224y7l.jpg2014-07-04T11:20:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Sarah Walker looks at Stravinsky's Firebird.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0224y8g
- Serenades and Symphonieshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01zv0tr.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01zv0tr.jpg2014-05-27T08:40:00.000ZCharles Hazlewood compares the ways Strauss and Stravinsky wrote for wind ensemble.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01zv0v7
Serenades and Symphonies
- Music from the Russian Ballethttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01ztgk0.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01ztgk0.jpg2014-05-26T21:29:00.000ZDavid Nixon and BBC NOW join Charles Hazlewood to explore Russian Ballet.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01ztgkm
Music from the Russian Ballet
- Stravinsky: The Firebirdhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxfms.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01sxfms.jpg2014-05-15T11:08:00.000ZCharles Hazlewood and the Ulster Orchestra explore Stravinsky's The Firebirdhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01z4nr7
Stravinsky: The Firebird
Igor Stravinsky Tracks