Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Biography (BBC)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born in Salzburg in 1756, the son of a violinist at the court of the local Prince-Archbishop. His father, recognising early the boy’s extraordinary musical talents, proceeded to take him on performing tours throughout Europe so that he could be exposed to as wide a range of musical styles and cultural milieux as possible. By the age of 16 Mozart had visited England, Italy, France and Germany, had met many important musical and political figures, and had had three operas performed in Milan.
It was the sort of education he could never have gained in Salzburg; and, while the constant travelling may have contributed to his lifelong poor health, it was doubtless also a major factor in the formation of his cosmopolitan musical style.
Throughout the 1770s, however, Mozart was a member of the Salzburg orchestra. Growing frustration with his position led him to try his luck in Mannheim and Paris in 1777–8, but the trip brought only disappointment and within a few months he was back in Salzburg. A breakthrough of sorts came when a commission from Munich led to his first great opera, Idomeneo (1781), a work into which he poured all of the musical experience he had so far gained.
The year 1781 finally saw him break with Salzburg and move to the musically more sophisticated Vienna, where he embarked on the life of a freelance composer, pianist and teacher. At first he enjoyed considerable success, particularly as a pianist in his own concertos and with his lively comic opera Die Entführung aus dem Serail (1782). There followed three of his greatest operatic masterpieces – The Marriage of Figaro (1786), Don Giovanni (1787) and Così fan tutte (1790) – but by the time of the last his popularity had waned and he found himself seriously in debt. He died in December 1791, not long after the successful premiere of his final opera, The Magic Flute.
Profile by Lindsay Kemp © BBC
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Biography (Wikipedia)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (, ; 27 January 1756 – 5 December 1791), baptised as Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart, was a prolific and influential composer of the Classical era. Born in Salzburg, Mozart showed prodigious ability from his earliest childhood. Already competent on keyboard and violin, he composed from the age of five and performed before European royalty.
At 17, Mozart was engaged as a musician at the Salzburg court, but grew restless and traveled in search of a better position. While visiting Vienna in 1781, he was dismissed from his Salzburg position. He chose to stay in the capital, where he achieved fame but little financial security. During his final years in Vienna, he composed many of his best-known symphonies, concertos, and operas, and portions of the Requiem, which was largely unfinished at the time of his death. The circumstances of his early death have been much mythologized. He was survived by his wife Constanze and two sons.
He composed more than 600 works, many acknowledged as pinnacles of symphonic, concertante, chamber, operatic, and choral music. He is among the most enduringly popular of classical composers, and his influence is profound on subsequent Western art music. Ludwig van Beethoven composed his own early works in the shadow of Mozart, and Joseph Haydn wrote that "posterity will not see such a talent again in 100 years".
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerto No 26 in D major, 'Coronation'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040v6ry.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040v6ry.jpg2016-09-06T20:00:00.000ZSoloist Daniel Barenboim directs Staatskapelle Berlin in Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 26.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04764kx
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerto No 26 in D major, 'Coronation'
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerto No 24 in C minor, K491https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0470n3d.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0470n3d.jpg2016-09-05T20:00:00.000ZSoloist Daniel Barenboim directs Staatskapelle Berlin in Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 24.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0470n3w
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Piano Concerto No 24 in C minor, K491
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: The Magic Flute – overturehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0466q8h.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0466q8h.jpg2016-09-04T18:00:00.000ZWith the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra conducted by Mirga Gražinytė-Tyla.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046nchb
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: The Magic Flute – overture
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Violin Concerto No 5 in A major, K219 'Turkish'https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p046hr9h.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p046hr9h.jpg2016-08-31T20:00:00.000ZBaiba Skride performs Mozart’s ‘Turkish’ Violin Concerto with the BBC Symphony Orchestra.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046hr9j
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Violin Concerto No 5 in A major, K219 'Turkish'
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Violin Concerto No 5 in A major, K219 'Turkish' (1st movement)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02xlp0f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02xlp0f.jpg2016-08-31T20:00:00.000ZBaiba Skride performs Mozart’s ‘Turkish’ Violin Concerto with the BBC Symphony Orchestra.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046hqr6
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: Violin Concerto No 5 in A major, K219 'Turkish' (1st movement)
- Symphonyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p046b971.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p046b971.jpg2016-08-30T21:00:00.000ZKatie Derham asks what is a Symphony? In the busy West End of London she discovers how Mozart wrote his first Symphony here when he was 8 years old.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046b9jv
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: String Quintet in C majorhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040tl3p.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040tl3p.jpg2016-08-29T12:00:00.000ZThe Armida Quartet perform Mozart's String Quintet in C major.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046m30j
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: String Quintet in C major
- Proms interval talks: An introduction to Mozart's Requiemhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpg2016-08-26T22:03:00.000ZSara Mohr-Pietsch talks to Esther Cavett and Sir Nicholas Kenyon about Mozart's Requiem and the mythology around the music.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04606tm
Proms interval talks: An introduction to Mozart's Requiem
- Proms interval talks: An Introduction to Mozart's Mass in C minorhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph31k.jpg2016-08-20T20:11:00.000ZIan Skelly talks to Matthew Head and Timothy Jones about Mozart's Mass in C minor.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p045c19t
Proms interval talks: An Introduction to Mozart's Mass in C minor
- Flash Prom with the Aurora Orchestrahttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0434q7w.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0434q7w.jpg2016-07-31T14:13:00.000ZNicholas Collon and the Aurora Orchestra surprise shoppers at Westfield Centre in advance of their BBC Prom at the Royal Albert Hallhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0434q97
Flash Prom with the Aurora Orchestra
- Mozarthttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040dhy1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040dhy1.jpg2016-07-15T12:00:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores Mozart's relationship with his home city of Salzburg.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p041kj0d
- "... I have never heard anything so extraordinary in all of my life". Teodor Currentzis' recording of Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte.https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ydvzt.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ydvzt.jpg2016-06-15T10:54:00.000ZPianist James Rhodes reveals his favourite recording from the last 10 years: Teodor Currentzis' recording of Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ydw02
"... I have never heard anything so extraordinary in all of my life". Teodor Currentzis' recording of Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte.
- Mozart: Piano concerto No.24 in C minor, K491 (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03phprk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03phprk.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ny66f
Mozart: Piano concerto No.24 in C minor, K491 (extract)
- Mozart: Piano concerto No.22 in E flat, K482 (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph1j4.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph1j4.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ph1y0
Mozart: Piano concerto No.22 in E flat, K482 (extract)
- Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major, K467 (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph2ll.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ph2ll.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ph34y
Mozart: Piano Concerto No. 21 in C major, K467 (extract)
- Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K219 'Turkish' (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ny0pq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ny0pq.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ny8j4
Mozart: Violin Concerto No. 5 in A major, K219 'Turkish' (extract)
- Mozart: The Magic Flute – Overture (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxqkk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxqkk.jpg2016-04-19T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nxqq2
Mozart: The Magic Flute – Overture (extract)
- Mozart : Requiem K.626 (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxncq.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxncq.jpg2016-04-19T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nxnqq
Mozart : Requiem K.626 (extract)
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart Performances
Latest Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart News
Audio & Video from Similar Artists
Thomas Dausgaard on the Beethoven 1808 Academy Concert
Beethoven: 'Rasumovsky' Quartet in E minor Op.52, No.2
Johann Sebastian Bach: Orchestra Suite No. 3 in D major, BWV 1068 – Air (arr. L. Stokowski)
Ludwig van Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61
Proms Encore: Nikolaj Znaider plays Bach
Johann Sebastian Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232
Johann Sebastian Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (I/4: Gloria in excelsis Deo)
The North Devon Sinfonia
Schubert: Rondo in A Major D951 (Encore)
Ludwig van Beethoven: Symphony No 7 in A major