- Clips (6)Latest ClipJean-Philippe Rameau, composer and theorist.
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Jean-Philippe Rameau, composer and theorist.http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p026h7zj.jpg2014-09-12T12:00:00ZRameau experts Dr Jonathan Williams & Prof Graham Sadler join Donald Macleod in Studio.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/b29a3b55-785c-4072-9daf-0153cac864b6?clipfocus=p026jywcSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 hour 10 mins
Jean-Philippe Rameau, composer and theorist.
- Rameau: Pieces de clavecinhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p020rqvx.jpg2014-06-11T11:11:00ZNicholas Kenyon on recordings of Rameau's Pieces de clavecin and makes a recommendation.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/b29a3b55-785c-4072-9daf-0153cac864b6?clipfocus=p020rqy3Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 46 mins
Rameau: Pieces de clavecin
- Jean-Philippe Rameauhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01zhlzn.jpg2014-05-21T14:14:00ZThe life and works of French Baroque composer Jean-Philippe Rameau.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/b29a3b55-785c-4072-9daf-0153cac864b6?clipfocus=p01zhm03Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 46 mins
- Rameau: Les Indes galantes - Preview Cliphttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-10-17T11:48:00ZListen to an excerpt from Rameau's Les Indes galantes.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/b29a3b55-785c-4072-9daf-0153cac864b6?clipfocus=p01jwhqfSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 min
Rameau: Les Indes galantes - Preview Clip
- Rameau: Les Indes galantes - BBC Proms 2013http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01cw02p.jpg2013-07-16T15:48:00ZFrançois-Xavier Roth conducts Les Siècles in Rameau's Les Indes galantes.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/b29a3b55-785c-4072-9daf-0153cac864b6?clipfocus=p01cw04kSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
Rameau: Les Indes galantes - BBC Proms 2013
- BBC Proms: 2010: Rameau - Dardanus – suitehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02bpx2h.jpg2010-09-06T15:43:43ZThe BBC National Orchestra of Wales under Francois-Xavier play an excerpt from Rameau's Dardanus Suite from the Royal Albert Hallhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/b29a3b55-785c-4072-9daf-0153cac864b6?clipfocus=p009vkzjSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
BBC Proms: 2010: Rameau - Dardanus – suite
Clips from Similar Artists
Jean-Philippe Rameau was aged 50 before his first opera, Hippolyte et Aricie, was premiered in Paris. By the time of his death 30 years later he had composed over 30 stage works, and produced around 40 works of musical theory.
Born in Dijon, Rameau held a succession of organist posts before moving permanently to Paris in 1722. In the same year his influential Traité de l'harmonie was published. During this time he was known largely as a composer of keyboard music and cantatas, but with his early operas, among them Les Indes galantes (1736) and Les fêtes d'Hébé (1739) he won a reputation for strengthening the dramatic role of music in his stage-works, displeasing the more conservative followers of Lully. After a period under the patronage of the financier La Pouplinière, Rameau won favour at the Royal Court, and was appointed a royal chamber music composer. Despite his hard-won success as an opera composer - especially in the genre of the tragédie lyrique - Rameau returned to his theoretical treatises from the 1750s, though he managed to complete two further major works, Les Paladins (1760) and Les Boréades (1763).
Profile © Edward Bhesania