Throwing Muses is an alternative rock band formed in 1981 in Newport, Rhode Island, that toured and recorded extensively until 1997, when its members began concentrating more on other projects. The group was originally fronted by two lead singers, Kristin Hersh, and Tanya Donelly, who both wrote the group's songs. Throwing Muses are known for performing music with shifting tempos, creative chord progressions, unorthodox song structures, and surreal lyrics. The group was set apart from other contemporary acts by Hersh's stark, candid writing style; Donelly's pop stylings and vocal harmonies; and David Narcizo's unusual drumming techniques eschewing use of cymbals. Hersh's hallucinatory, febrile songs occasionally touched on the subject of mental illness, more often drawing portraits of characters from daily life or addressing relationships.
- Clips (1)Latest ClipKristin Hersh - Interview with Mark Radcliffe
- Tracks (26)Last Played on BBCCalm Down, Come Down
- EventsFind events near you
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Kristin Hersh - Interview with Mark Radcliffehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cc5g7.jpg2011-09-20T23:00:08ZThrowing Muses' Kristin Hersh talks to Mark about her time in the band and her memoirs.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/clips#p00klkknSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 14 mins
Kristin Hersh - Interview with Mark Radcliffe