- Clips (5)Latest ClipJoni Mitchell - The Girl with the Guitar
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreBBC News - Joni Mitchell has made 'remarkable progress', says lawyer
- Joni Mitchell - The Girl with the Guitarhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0221310.jpg2014-06-30T21:00:00ZCerys Matthews and Kate Mossman celebrates the legendary singer, songwriter and guitarist, with thoughts from the artist herself.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a6de8ef9-b1a1-4756-97aa-481bbb8a4069?clipfocus=p022132dSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 6 mins
Joni Mitchell - The Girl with the Guitar
- Joni Mitchell is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall Of Famehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01hs6bd.jpg2013-09-30T12:00:00ZBarbara Graham nominates Joni Mitchell for the Singers Hall of Fame.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a6de8ef9-b1a1-4756-97aa-481bbb8a4069?clipfocus=p01hs6c9Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 2 mins
Joni Mitchell is inducted into Michael Ball's Singers Hall Of Fame
- Jazz Library - Joni Mitchellhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02c8clb.jpg2011-03-18T00:00:00ZChristine Tobin guides Alyn Shipton through the jazz-oriented repertoire of Joni Mitchell.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a6de8ef9-b1a1-4756-97aa-481bbb8a4069?clipfocus=p00g3r78Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 29 mins
Jazz Library - Joni Mitchell
- Joni Mitchell chats about not fitting inhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02c0zl2.jpg2010-11-22T00:00:00ZSinger-songwriter Amanda Ghost visits the LA home of Joni Mitchell.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a6de8ef9-b1a1-4756-97aa-481bbb8a4069?clipfocus=p00c9vtcSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 3 mins
Joni Mitchell chats about not fitting in
- Joni Mitchell talks about starting her musical careerhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02c0zh4.jpg2010-11-22T00:00:00ZFellow singer-songwriter Amanda Ghost chats to Joni Mitchell in her LA homehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a6de8ef9-b1a1-4756-97aa-481bbb8a4069?clipfocus=p00c9vfzSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 5 mins
Joni Mitchell talks about starting her musical career
Clips from Similar Artists
Roberta Joan "Joni" Mitchell, CC (née Anderson; born November 7, 1943) is a Canadian singer-songwriter and painter. Mitchell began singing in small nightclubs in Saskatchewan and Western Canada and then busking in the streets and dives of Toronto. In 1965, she moved to the United States and began touring. Some of her original songs ("Urge for Going", "Chelsea Morning", "Both Sides, Now", "The Circle Game") were covered by folk singers, allowing her to sign with Reprise Records and record her debut album in 1968.
Settling in Southern California, Mitchell, with popular songs like "Big Yellow Taxi" and "Woodstock", helped define an era and a generation. Her 1971 recording Blue was rated the 30th best album ever made in Rolling Stone's list of the "500 Greatest Albums of All Time". Mitchell switched labels and began moving toward jazz rhythms by way of lush pop textures on 1974's Court and Spark, her best-selling LP, featuring the radio hits "Help Me" and "Free Man in Paris".
Her wide-ranging contralto vocals and distinctive open-tuned guitar and piano compositions grew more harmonically and rhythmically complex as she explored jazz, melding it with influences of rock and roll, R&B, classical music, and non-western beats. In the late 1970s, she began working closely with noted jazz musicians, among them Jaco Pastorius, Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Pat Metheny, and Charles Mingus, who asked her to collaborate on his final recordings. She turned again toward pop, embraced electronic music, and engaged in political protest.