- Clips (2)Latest ClipCelebrating Buena Vista Social Club
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- EventsFind events near you
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Celebrating Buena Vista Social Clubhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02pj1q0.jpg2015-04-19T13:48:00ZCerys chats to World Circuit's Nick Gold about the phenomenal success of Buena Vista Social Club.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a4e2650b-938b-4b72-95bc-6e229cd34601?clipfocus=p02pj1slSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 13 mins
Celebrating Buena Vista Social Club
- Ry Cooder - the guitarist talks to Mike Hardinghttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cc8w9.jpg2011-09-28T18:00:00ZMike talks to one of the world's greatest roots musicians: the Grammy Award-winning guitarist, songwriter and producer Ry Cooder.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/a4e2650b-938b-4b72-95bc-6e229cd34601?clipfocus=p00krlj3Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 11 mins
Ry Cooder - the guitarist talks to Mike Harding
Clips from Similar Artists
Past BBC Events
Ryland Peter "Ry" Cooder (born March 15, 1947) is an American musician, songwriter, film score composer, and record producer. He is a multi-instrumentalist but is best known for his slide guitar work, his interest in roots music from the United States, and his collaborations with traditional musicians from many countries.
Cooder's solo work has been eclectic, encompassing many genres. He has collaborated with many musicians, notably including Captain Beefheart, Ali Farka Touré, Eric Clapton, The Rolling Stones, Van Morrison, Neil Young, Randy Newman, David Lindley, The Chieftains, and The Doobie Brothers, Carla Olson & the Textones (both on record and in film). He briefly formed a band named Little Village. He produced the Buena Vista Social Club album (1997), which became a worldwide hit. Wim Wenders directed the documentary film of the same name (1999), which was nominated for an Academy Award in 2000.
Cooder was ranked eighth on Rolling Stone magazine's 2003 list of "The 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time". A 2010 ranking by Gibson placed him at number 32.