Born in 1947 in Massachusetts, John Adams is 10 years younger than Steve Reich and Philip Glass, with whom he is often classified as a Minimalist. His success has much to do with an espousal of modality and regular pulse – musical elements reintroduced by the Minimalists in reaction to much modernist music. Yet Adams’s approach since the late 1970s emphasises two things that early Minimalism is generally said to have rejected. One is direct emotional expression; the other concerns allusions to, and even direct quotations from, other musics. Adams himself has described his development as an alternation between ‘two opposing polarities: along with every dark, introspective, “serious” piece there must come the Trickster, the garish, ironic wild card that threatens to lose me whatever friends the previous composition might have gained’. Thus Harmonium (1981), settings of John Donne and Emily Dickinson, was followed by Grand Pianola Music (1982).
Allusion and quotation played an increasing role in Adams’s output from 1978 – when Shaker Loops drew on the spiritual ecstasy of America’s 18th-century fundamentalist movement – up to the late-1980s works Nixon in China and Fearful Symmetries. Since then, such references have generally been less overt, though the Chamber Symphony (1992) alludes both to Schoenberg’s Chamber Symphony No. 1 and to American cartoons.
With Nixon in China, his first opera (1987), Adams achieved international fame. The director Peter Sellars, librettist Alice Goodman and the choreographer Mark Morris were integral both to this project and to his next opera, The Death of Klinghoffer (1991), based on the 1985 hijacking of a cruise-liner. An event from recent history – the 1994 Los Angeles earthquake – was likewise the starting point for the ‘songplay’ I Was Looking at the Ceiling and Then I Saw the Sky (1995). By contrast, El Niño (2000) is a ‘Nativity oratorio’ featuring film as well as stage action. Adams’s most recent operatic collaborations with Sellars are Doctor Atomic (2005) and A Flowering Tree (2006), both seen in London during the past two years. The Doctor Atomic Symphony, extensively recasting and extending the opera, was premiered at the 2007 BBC Proms. Adams’s works include Son of Chamber Symphony (2007), also choreographed for San Francisco Ballet by Mark Morris, and City Noir (2009).
In 1995 the composer received the Grawemeyer Award for his Violin Concerto. In 2003, the year in which he became Artist-in- Association with the BBC SO, his On the Transmigration of Souls, written for the first anniversary of 9/11, was awarded the Pulitzer Prize.
Profile by Keith Potter © BBC
- Clips (12)Latest ClipProms Composer: John Adams
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- Events12 Sep - Unknown venue, Swansea, UK
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Proms Composer: John Adamshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p00w6yr8.jpg2014-09-03T12:25:00ZAndrew McGregor introduces works by Proms Composer John Adams.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p025z7qqSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 23 mins
Proms Composer: John Adams
- Adams: Nixon in Chinahttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0224v96.jpg2014-07-11T16:25:00ZProms Music Guide: Tom Service on John Adams' Nixon in Chinahttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p022nsfxSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 3 mins
Adams: Nixon in China
- John Adams: The Wound Dresserhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p020dlfd.jpg2014-06-05T10:11:00ZJohn Adams sets Walt Whitman's poem "The Wound-Dresser" (1865) for chamber orchestra and baritone singer.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p020dljySelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 31 mins
John Adams: The Wound Dresser
- Foxtrotshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01tnl2m.jpg2014-05-26T16:19:00ZCharles Hazlewood explores classical foxtrots for orchestra.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p01zt70fSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 50 mins
- John Adams: Doctor Atomic and The Wound Dresserhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01tnk4j.jpg2014-05-23T13:01:00ZStephen Johnson looks at the music of American composer John Adams.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p01zndm0Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 41 mins
John Adams: Doctor Atomic and The Wound Dresser
- John Adams: Chamber Symphonyhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01tnhd6.jpg2014-05-23T12:51:00ZJohn Adams's Chamber Symphony: Charles Hazlewood and Excellent Device explore Adams's work, also examining one of the works that inspired it, Schoenberg's Chamber Symphony.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p01zncpgSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 47 mins
John Adams: Chamber Symphony
- John Adams (1947-)http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01s96dl.jpg2014-04-25T10:08:00ZDonald Macleod talks to America's most frequently performed living composer, John Adams, about his work.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p01xyk3lSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 hour 10 mins
John Adams (1947-)
- John Adams - early yearshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01s9017.jpg2014-04-25T09:37:00ZDonald Macleod meets John Adams to discuss his life and work.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p01xyhf7Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 hour 5 mins
John Adams - early years
- John Adams: The Chairman Danceshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w11qz.jpg2014-03-21T16:34:00ZHoward Goodall and Suzy Klein discuss The Chairman Dances by John Adams.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p01w11r5Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 4 mins
John Adams: The Chairman Dances
- John Adams discusses Shaker Loopshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02clwm7.jpg2013-02-12T12:00:00ZJohn Adams discusses Shaker Loops, the first piece where he moved away from the minimalist aesthetic.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p014ykdmSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
John Adams discusses Shaker Loops
- John Adams talks about beginning a compositionhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02clwm5.jpg2013-02-12T12:00:00ZJohn Adams explains how difficult it is to begin composing a piece.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p014yk93Selected ClipSelected ClipVideo 1 min
John Adams talks about beginning a composition
- John Adams talks about composing Grand Pianola Musichttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02clwm3.jpg2013-02-12T12:00:00ZJohn Adams talks about composing Grand Pianola Music and the criticism he faced.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/94f46f90-f220-458d-acd6-5f14c55ab9b2?clipfocus=p014yk2sSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
John Adams talks about composing Grand Pianola Music
Clips from Similar Artists