- Clips (3)Latest ClipRalph McTell talks to Steve Wright
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- Events28 Oct - Stamford Corn Exchange, Leicester, UK
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Ralph McTell talks to Steve Wrighthttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02qpnpk.jpg2015-05-05T15:00:00ZThe singer-songwriter talks about his latest UK Tour.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/8bf5abde-89d0-4676-98ef-7e1a4eecd03d?clipfocus=p02qppbsSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 10 mins
Ralph McTell talks to Steve Wright
- Ralph McTell in session and conversation with Bob Harrishttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02ckfsf.jpg2012-09-04T02:00:00ZBob was joined by Ralph McTell. Hear clips from his session tracks and all the conversation.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/8bf5abde-89d0-4676-98ef-7e1a4eecd03d?clipfocus=p00x59vdSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 19 mins
Ralph McTell in session and conversation with Bob Harris
- Ralph McTell - Travelling Folk interviewhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cc9jc.jpg2011-09-29T21:05:00ZBruce MacGregor talks to singer-songwriter Ralph McTell about his influences and his favourite songs.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/8bf5abde-89d0-4676-98ef-7e1a4eecd03d?clipfocus=p00ksghwSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 16 mins
Ralph McTell - Travelling Folk interview
Clips from Similar Artists
Ralph McTell (born Ralph May, 3 December 1944) is an English singer-songwriter and acoustic guitar player who has been an influential figure on the UK folk music scene since the 1960s.
McTell is best known for his song "Streets of London", which has been covered by over two hundred artists around the world, and for his tale of Irish emigration, "From Clare to Here".
In the 1980s he wrote and played songs for two TV children's programmes, Alphabet Zoo, which also featured Nerys Hughes, followed by Tickle on the Tum, featuring Jacqueline Reddin. Albums were also released from both series. He also recorded Keith Hopwood's and Malcolm Rowe's theme song to Cosgrove Hall's adaptation of The Wind in the Willows, and this was released as a single in 1984 after the series was aired on ITV.
McTell's guitar playing has been modelled on the style of the US's country blues guitar players of the early 20th century, including Blind Blake, Robert Johnson and Blind Willie McTell. These influences led a friend to suggest that he change his professional name to McTell as his career was beginning to take shape.