- Clips (3)Latest ClipBlack Francis chats with Steve
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Black Francis chats with Stevehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01w6t1y.jpg2014-03-25T17:43:00ZSteve speaks to Black Francis from Pixies.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/789f6768-5830-4b08-8b4f-f38566b2eb1d?clipfocus=p01w6t22Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 8 mins
Black Francis chats with Steve
- Black Francis: Key of Life interview with Mary Anne Hobbs (Extended Cut)http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01nf14x.jpg2013-12-15T09:30:00ZFull interview with the Pixies' frontman, including a bonus clip about his button factoryhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/789f6768-5830-4b08-8b4f-f38566b2eb1d?clipfocus=p01nf152Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 20 mins
Black Francis: Key of Life interview with Mary Anne Hobbs (Extended Cut)
- Black Francis of the Pixies talks to Steve Lamacqhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01hm20r.jpg2013-09-27T10:50:00ZPixies front man, Black Francis joins Steve Lamacq ahead of their Maida Vale session.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/789f6768-5830-4b08-8b4f-f38566b2eb1d?clipfocus=p01hm24dSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 17 mins
Black Francis of the Pixies talks to Steve Lamacq
Clips from Similar Artists
Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV (born April 6, 1965) is an American singer, songwriter and guitarist. He is best known as the frontman of the influential alternative rock band Pixies, with whom he performs under the stage name Black Francis. Following the band's breakup in 1993, he embarked on a solo career under the name Frank Black. After releasing two albums with record label 4AD, he left the label and formed a new band, Frank Black and the Catholics. He re-adopted the name Black Francis in 2007.
His vocal style has varied from a screaming, yowling delivery as lead vocalist of Pixies to a more measured and melodic style in his solo career. His cryptic lyrics mostly explore unconventional subjects, such as surrealism, incest and biblical violence, along with science fiction and surf culture. His use of atypical meter signatures, loud–quiet dynamics and distinct preference for live-to-two-track recording in his career as a solo artist give him a distinct style within alternative rock.