- Clips (4)Latest ClipAli Campbell on UB40's sound
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- Events2 Oct - De La Warr Pavilion, Brighton, UK
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Ali Campbell on UB40's soundhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01bqn23.jpg2015-07-29T11:54:00ZAli Campbell speaks to David Rodigan about the early influences on UB40's sound.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/7113aab7-628f-4050-ae49-dbecac110ca8?clipfocus=p02y9y4fSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 2 mins
Ali Campbell on UB40's sound
- UB40 play their reggae classic 'Red Red Wine'http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02ndd0r.jpg2015-04-03T12:14:00ZA very special acoustic version of their timeless track had the whole studio grooving!http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/7113aab7-628f-4050-ae49-dbecac110ca8?clipfocus=p02ndd1kSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 5 mins
UB40 play their reggae classic 'Red Red Wine'
- Ali Campbell Live in Sessionhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p024yt9x.jpg2014-08-17T13:57:00ZAli joined Terry to perform two songs live in the studiohttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/7113aab7-628f-4050-ae49-dbecac110ca8?clipfocus=p024ytbhSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 17 mins
Ali Campbell Live in Session
- UB40 on dubhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02c73r6.jpg2011-02-04T00:00:00ZDrummer for UB40, James Brown explains how hearing dub changed his life.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/7113aab7-628f-4050-ae49-dbecac110ca8?clipfocus=p00dwkp5Selected ClipSelected ClipVideo 1 min
UB40 on dub
Clips from Similar Artists
Past BBC Events
UB40 are a British reggae/pop band formed in 1978 in Birmingham, England. The band has had more than 50 singles in the UK Singles Chart, and has also achieved considerable international success. They have been nominated for the Grammy Award for Best Reggae Album four times, and in 1984 were nominated for the Brit Award for Best British Group. One of the world's best-selling music artists, UB40 have sold over 70 million records.
Their hit singles include their debut "Food for Thought" and two US Billboard Hot 100 number ones with "Red Red Wine" and "Can't Help Falling in Love". Both of these also topped the UK Singles Chart, as did the band's version of "I Got You Babe".
The ethnic makeup of the band's original line-up was diverse, with musicians of English, Scottish, Irish, Yemeni and Jamaican parentage. The band's line-up remained unchanged for 30 years, from its formation in 1978 until January 2008, when frontman Ali Campbell left the band; followed shortly thereafter by keyboardist Mickey Virtue. Another member, Astro, remained with the band until November 2013; when he departed the original band to team up with Campbell and Virtue in a new version of UB40. In 2014, legal advice was sought by the original band (now consisting of remaining co-founding members drummer Jimmy Brown, guitarist Robin Campbell, bassist Earl Falconer, percussionist Norman Hassan, and saxophonist Brian Travers, along with new vocalist Duncan Campbell) against the group containing Campbell, Virtue, and Astro over usage of the band name, due to it being used by both parties.