- Clips (4)Latest ClipSmetana: Ma Vlast
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Smetana: Ma Vlasthttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02256vr.jpg2014-07-04T13:10:00ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Sarah Walker talks about Smetana's Ma Vlast.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/6eb5695e-cf7b-4b94-b441-a09901127ef9?clipfocus=p02256w2Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 4 mins
Smetana: Ma Vlast
- Bedrich Smetanahttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p020dnpz.jpg2014-06-05T11:03:00ZCzech culture and history were creative catalysts for much of Smetana's work.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/6eb5695e-cf7b-4b94-b441-a09901127ef9?clipfocus=p020dnq4Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 58 mins
- Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884)http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p020dn1l.jpg2014-06-05T10:49:00ZDonald Macleod explores in a condensed version of the week of programmes, the life and work of Bedrich Smetana, a composer credited with founding a national style of Czech musichttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/6eb5695e-cf7b-4b94-b441-a09901127ef9?clipfocus=p020dn1rSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 hour
Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884)
- BBC SO Smetanahttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02bjdgn.jpg2009-11-24T00:00:00ZRecorded live at London's Barbican, the BBC Symphony Orchestra under Jiri Belohlavek with an excerpt from Smetana's Overture to his opera Libuse.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/6eb5695e-cf7b-4b94-b441-a09901127ef9?clipfocus=p0059m3zSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 1 min
BBC SO Smetana
Clips from Similar Artists
Bedřich Smetana (2 March 1824 – 12 May 1884) was a Czech composer who pioneered the development of a musical style which became closely identified with his country's aspirations to independent statehood. He is thus widely regarded in his homeland as the father of Czech music. Internationally he is best known for his opera The Bartered Bride; for the symphonic cycle Má vlast ("My Homeland"), which portrays the history, legends and landscape of the composer's native land; and for his First String Quartet, From My Life.
Smetana was naturally gifted as a pianist, and gave his first public performance at the age of six. After his conventional schooling, he studied music under Josef Proksch in Prague. His first nationalistic music was written during the 1848 Prague uprising, in which he briefly participated. After failing to establish his career in Prague, he left for Sweden, where he set up as a teacher and choirmaster in Gothenburg, and began to write large-scale orchestral works. During this period of his life Smetana was twice married; of six daughters, three died in infancy.