Metallica Biography (Wikipedia)
Metallica is an American heavy metal band formed in Los Angeles, California. The band was formed in 1981 when vocalist/guitarist James Hetfield responded to an advertisement posted by drummer Lars Ulrich in a local newspaper. Metallica's current line-up comprises founding members Hetfield and Ulrich, longtime lead guitarist Kirk Hammett and bassist Robert Trujillo. Guitarist Dave Mustaine and bassists Ron McGovney, Cliff Burton and Jason Newsted are former members of the band.
The band's fast tempos, instrumentals, and aggressive musicianship placed them as one of the founding "big four" bands of thrash metal, alongside Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer. Metallica earned a growing fan base in the underground music community and won critical acclaim with its first four albums; their third album Master of Puppets (1986) was described as one of the most influential and heaviest of thrash metal albums. The band expanded its musical direction and achieved substantial commercial success with its eponymous fifth album Metallica (1991), which resulted in an album that appealed to a more mainstream audience. The album was also their first to debut at number one on the Billboard 200, a success that they also achieved on their following four studio albums. In 2000, Metallica joined with other artists who filed a lawsuit against Napster for sharing the band's copyright-protected material without consent from the band. A settlement was reached and Napster became a pay-to-use service. The release of St. Anger (2003) alienated fans with the exclusion of guitar solos and the "steel-sounding" snare drum, and a film titled Some Kind of Monster documented the recording of St. Anger and the tensions within the band during that time. The band returned to its original musical style with the release of Death Magnetic (2008), and in 2009, Metallica was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
- How hard does James Hetfield ROCK?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p049cbdj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p049cbdj.jpg2016-09-28T21:52:00.000ZMetallica's James Hetfield chats with BBC Radio 6 Music's Matt Everitthttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p049cbrz
How hard does James Hetfield ROCK?
- "We left number 11 years ago" How hard does Lars Ulrich ROCK?https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p049cbdj.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p049cbdj.jpg2016-09-28T21:41:00.000ZMetallica's Lars Ulrich chats to BBC Radio 6 Music's Matt Everitthttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p049cbf8
"We left number 11 years ago" How hard does Lars Ulrich ROCK?
- [LISTEN] Metallica Drummer Lars Ulrich talks to 6 Music Breakfast about Record Store Day 2016https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03r3lb0.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03r3lb0.jpg2016-04-15T07:42:00.000ZRecord Store Day's official ambassadors chat to BBC 6 Music Breakfasthttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03r3lbc
[LISTEN] Metallica Drummer Lars Ulrich talks to 6 Music Breakfast about Record Store Day 2016
- Metallica: Enter Sandmanhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p025fz7g.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p025fz7g.jpg2014-08-25T13:50:00.000ZLars from Metallica takes us back to the summer of 1990 and the birth of Enter Sandmanhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p025fzfc
Metallica: Enter Sandman
- Lars Ulrich from Metallica on playing at Glastonburyhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021vh5m.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021vh5m.jpg2014-06-29T12:12:00.000ZLars Ulrich talks to Jo Whiley and Huw Stephens about playing at Glastonbury 2014http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p021vh69
Lars Ulrich from Metallica on playing at Glastonbury
- Lars Ulrich (Metallica): Don't Be Afraid of Hard Rockhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021f52h.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021f52h.jpg2014-06-22T08:17:00.000ZMetallica drummer wants Britain to embrace metal, ahead of that Glastonbury headline set.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p021f52l
Lars Ulrich (Metallica): Don't Be Afraid of Hard Rock
- Lou Reed & Metallica - White Light/White Heat (Later Archive 2011)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01kgr5b.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01kgr5b.jpg2013-10-28T15:21:00.000ZLou Reed and Metallica perform White Light/White Heat on Later... with Jools Holland in 2011.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01kgr6k
Lou Reed & Metallica - White Light/White Heat (Later Archive 2011)
- Lars Ulrich chats to Daniel P Carterhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01jdjj5.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01jdjj5.jpg2013-10-08T12:03:00.000ZLars Ulrich speaks to Daniel P Carter about Metallica's new film Through the Never.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01jdjjx
Lars Ulrich chats to Daniel P Carter