- Clips (5)Latest ClipMasters of Minimalism: Philip Glass
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Masters of Minimalism: Philip Glasshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02vf0h0.jpg2015-06-23T23:00:00ZGlass describes how he developed a new language for contemporary music in New York.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5ae54dee-4dba-49c0-802a-a3b3b3adfe9b?clipfocus=p02vf0jqSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 7 mins
Masters of Minimalism: Philip Glass
- What is minimalism?http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02vdzsy.jpg2015-06-23T23:00:00ZAlthough not big fans of the term, Steve Reich and Philip Glass explain the concept of minimalism and what it means to them.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5ae54dee-4dba-49c0-802a-a3b3b3adfe9b?clipfocus=p02vdzxqSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 3 mins
What is minimalism?
- Philip Glass in Nine Partshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02rt6xb.jpg2015-05-25T23:01:00ZComposer Philip Glass talks about his music, audience and influences.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5ae54dee-4dba-49c0-802a-a3b3b3adfe9b?clipfocus=p02rt6xlSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 4 mins
Philip Glass in Nine Parts
- Philip Glass discusses his life and musichttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021bd8b.jpg2012-03-21T12:00:00ZPhilip Glass joins Donald Macleod to discuss his life and musichttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5ae54dee-4dba-49c0-802a-a3b3b3adfe9b?clipfocus=p021bd9qSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 hour 15 mins
Philip Glass discusses his life and music
- Philip Glasshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02byt58.jpg2010-10-11T14:34:30ZSean Rafferty interviews Philip Glass ahead of a performance of Glass's 'In the Penal Colony' by Music Theatre Wales.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5ae54dee-4dba-49c0-802a-a3b3b3adfe9b?clipfocus=p00bjr0kSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 8 mins
Clips from Similar Artists
Philip Morris Glass (born January 31, 1937) is an American composer. He is considered one of the most influential music makers of the late 20th century. His music is also often controversially described as minimal music, along with the work of the other "major minimalists" La Monte Young, Terry Riley and Steve Reich.
Glass has distanced himself from the "minimalist" label, describing himself instead as a composer of "music with repetitive structures". Though his early mature music shares much with what is normally called "minimalist", he has since evolved stylistically. Currently, he describes himself as a "classicist", pointing out that he is trained in harmony and counterpoint and studied such composers as Franz Schubert, Johann Sebastian Bach and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart with Nadia Boulanger.
Glass has founded his namesake musical group, Philip Glass Ensemble, with which he still performs on keyboards, and has written operas, musical theatre works, ten symphonies, eleven concertos, solo works, chamber music including string quartets and instrumental sonatas, and film scores. Three of his film scores have been nominated for Academy Awards.