- Clips (4)Latest ClipAsian Network Gold: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Asian Network Gold: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khanhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cf7sg.jpg2012-02-23T00:00:14ZWatch Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan performing 'Allah Hoo' at BBC Pebble Millhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5968383c-11c1-4c5b-ada0-504a38cec8e7?clipfocus=p00pf8nqSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 7 mins
Asian Network Gold: Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan
- Asian Network Goldhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01r0csn.jpg2012-02-20T00:00:17ZWatch former Network East presenter, Sonia Deol, pull together some iconic performances from the biggest Asian artists ever to have recorded at the BBChttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5968383c-11c1-4c5b-ada0-504a38cec8e7?clipfocus=p00pb2vpSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 1 min
Asian Network Gold
- Nitin Sawhney on his first experience of Qawwali musichttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cdmk6.jpg2012-01-05T23:00:00ZNitin Sawhney talks about visiting India as a child and hearing Qawwali music for the first time and his subsequent obsession with Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5968383c-11c1-4c5b-ada0-504a38cec8e7?clipfocus=p00n01f4Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 2 mins
Nitin Sawhney on his first experience of Qawwali music
- Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn - Allah Hoohttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cb9bq.jpg2011-08-11T23:00:59ZNusrat Fateh Ali Khan performs in Small Heath Park, Birminghaml in 1989. Filmed for BBC Arena's Rhythms of The World.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5968383c-11c1-4c5b-ada0-504a38cec8e7?clipfocus=p00jsfxySelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 7 mins
Nusrat Fateh Ali Kahn - Allah Hoo
Clips from Similar Artists
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan (13 October 1948 – 16 August 1997) (Urdu: نصرت فتح علي خان) was a Pakistani musician, primarily a singer of Qawwali, the devotional music of the Sufis. Considered one of the greatest voices ever recorded, he possessed an extraordinary range of vocal abilities and could perform at a high level of intensity for several hours. Extending the 600-year old Qawwali tradition of his family, Khan is widely credited with introducing Qawwali music to international audiences. He is popularly known as "Shahenshah-e-Qawwali", meaning "The King of Kings of Qawwali".
Born in Faisalabad, Pakistan, Khan had his first public performance at age of 16, at his father's chelum. He became the head of the family qawwali party in 1971. He was signed by Oriental Star Agencies, Birmingham, England, in the early 1980s. Khan went on to release movie scores and albums in Europe, India, Japan, Pakistan, and the US. He engaged in collaborations and experiments with Western artists, becoming a well-known world music artist. He toured extensively, performing in over 40 countries.