- Clips (6)Latest ClipGlen Campbell nominated for the Singers Hall of Fame
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Glen Campbell nominated for the Singers Hall of Famehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p014y1j4.jpg2013-02-11T11:02:00ZRadio 2 listener Valerie Treloar in Barkingside, Illford nominates Glen Campbell for a place in Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Fame on Radio 2http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/57976431-1a5c-4968-a422-b92c5e9b0d4f?clipfocus=p014y1jfSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 min
Glen Campbell nominated for the Singers Hall of Fame
- Jimmy Webb and Carol Kaye describe the origin of Glen Campbell's hit 'Wichita Lineman'http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p013qrhq.jpg2013-01-11T17:17:00ZJimmy Webb and Carol Kaye reveal how 'Wichita Lineman' came to life.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/57976431-1a5c-4968-a422-b92c5e9b0d4f?clipfocus=p013nf55Selected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
Jimmy Webb and Carol Kaye describe the origin of Glen Campbell's hit 'Wichita Lineman'
- Glen Campbell - Interview with Jo Whileyhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cd576.jpg2011-11-17T22:00:00ZJo Whiley speaks to Glen Campbell ahead of his headline performance for Radio 2 In Concert at the BBC Radio Theatre.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/57976431-1a5c-4968-a422-b92c5e9b0d4f?clipfocus=p00ly2ypSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 7 mins
Glen Campbell - Interview with Jo Whiley
- Glen Campbell - The Rhinestone Cowboyhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cd19x.jpg2011-11-13T20:00:00ZGlen Campbell continues to share memories of a lifetime lived in the limelight.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/57976431-1a5c-4968-a422-b92c5e9b0d4f?clipfocus=p00lv74xSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 6 mins
Glen Campbell - The Rhinestone Cowboy
- Glen Campbell: "What's Alzheimers?"http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cbrln.jpg2011-08-30T23:00:32ZThe country music legend Glen Campbell, alongside his wife Kim, talks to Peter Bowes about being diagnosed with Alzheimers and looks back on a remarkable career.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/57976431-1a5c-4968-a422-b92c5e9b0d4f?clipfocus=p00k4dqgSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 20 mins
Glen Campbell: "What's Alzheimers?"
- Interview: Glen Campbellhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02bl5wk.jpg2010-05-02T23:58:00ZCountry Music legend Glen Campbell performs on Weekend Wogan.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/57976431-1a5c-4968-a422-b92c5e9b0d4f?clipfocus=p007p2t1Selected ClipSelected ClipVideo 4 mins
Interview: Glen Campbell
Clips from Similar Artists
Glen Travis Campbell (born April 22, 1936) is an American country music singer, guitarist, songwriter, television host, and occasional actor. He is best known for a series of hits in the 1960s and 1970s, and for hosting a variety show called The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour on CBS television.
During his 50 years in show business, Campbell has released more than 70 albums. He has sold 45 million records and accumulated 12 RIAA Gold albums, 4 Platinum albums and 1 Double-Platinum album. He has placed a total of 80 different songs on either the Billboard Country Chart, Billboard Hot 100, and/or the Adult Contemporary Chart, of which 29 made the Top 10 and of which nine reached number one on at least one of those charts. Campbell's hits include his recordings of John Hartford's "Gentle on My Mind"; Jimmy Webb's "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", "Wichita Lineman", and "Galveston"; Larry Weiss's "Rhinestone Cowboy"; and Allen Toussaint's "Southern Nights".
Campbell made history in 1967 by winning four Grammys total, in the country and pop categories. For "Gentle on My Mind" he received two awards in country and western, "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" did the same in pop. Three of his early hits later won Grammy Hall of Fame Awards (2000, 2004, 2008), while Campbell himself won the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. He owns trophies for Male Vocalist of the Year from both the Country Music Association (CMA) and the Academy of Country Music (ACM), and took the CMA's top award as 1968 Entertainer of the Year. In 1969 actor John Wayne picked Campbell to play alongside him in the film True Grit, which gave Campbell a Golden Globe nomination for Most Promising Newcomer. Campbell sang the title song which was nominated for an Academy Award.