- Clips (3)Latest ClipShonen Knife join Marc Riley in the studio
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Shonen Knife join Marc Riley in the studiohttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01y9qhw.jpg2014-05-31T10:04:00ZOsaka's legendary pop-punk trio Shonen Knife join Marc to talk about their new album Overdrive.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5089b746-7612-4a13-9153-33ff2560e161?clipfocus=p01y9rhnSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 6 mins
Shonen Knife join Marc Riley in the studio
- Shonen Knife - Interview with Stuart Maconiehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cbljg.jpg2011-08-23T23:00:25ZJapanese pop-punk band Shonen Knife talk to Stuart about their new album, Free Time.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5089b746-7612-4a13-9153-33ff2560e161?clipfocus=p00k0cw5Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 10 mins
Shonen Knife - Interview with Stuart Maconie
- Shonen Knife - Interview with Marc Rileyhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cb5yl.jpg2011-08-17T18:00:00ZAll female Japanese pop-punk band Shonen Knife grace Marc with a chat in the studios. The band once turned Kurt Cobain into a 'hysterical 9-year-old girl at a Beatles gig'. Nuf said.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/5089b746-7612-4a13-9153-33ff2560e161?clipfocus=p00jr8twSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 10 mins
Shonen Knife - Interview with Marc Riley
Clips from Similar Artists
Shonen Knife (Japanese: 少年ナイフ, Hepburn: Shōnen Naifu?, literally "Boy Knife") is an all-female Japanese pop punk band formed in Osaka, in 1981. Heavily influenced by 1960s girl groups, pop bands, The Beach Boys, and early punk rock bands, such as the Ramones, the trio crafts stripped-down songs with simplistic lyrics sung both in Japanese and English.
Despite their pop-oriented nature, the trio maintains a distinctly underground garage rock sound rooted in edgy instrumentation and D.I.Y. aesthetics, which over the course of their long career has earned them a solid, worldwide cult following and made avid fans out of seminal '90s alternative rock bands such as Sonic Youth, Nirvana, and Redd Kross. The band has been credited with making "the international pop underground more international" by "opening it up to bands from Japan". They have also performed as a Ramones tribute band under the name The Osaka Ramones.