Kate Bush Biography (BBC)
Kate Bush is a singer, songwriter, producer and performer quite unlike anyone else. From her first appearances on Top of the Pops in 1978, performing Wuthering Heights (her debut single and a No.1), she has followed her own path, making music that is unorthodox and literate, but enormously potent.
A prodigious writer as an early teen, Kate made a demo at 16 with Pink Floyd’s Dave Gilmour, which led to a record contract and the promise of an album release once she was a little older. Biding her time with dance lessons and pub gigs, she released her debut album The Kick Inside three years later to great critical acclaim.
Wuthering Heights was the first self-written single by a woman to get to No.1, and Kate suddenly found herself a media darling. She gamely appeared on a huge variety of TV shows, from Ask Aspel to The Leo Sayer Show, even getting her own BBC Christmas special in 1979. She was also spoofed by Not The Nine O’Clock News, returning the favour some years later by taking part in a jokey duet with Rowan Atkinson for the first Comic Relief.
All the while, the songs kept coming: Babooshka, Wow, Army Dreamers, each single moving her further away from what everyone else was doing and into her own sphere. By the time of 1986’s Hounds of Love, she was using sampling technology to create her own sounds, had created a side-long suite of songs about a drowning young woman, called The Ninth Wave, and still found time to appear on Wogan to promote Running Up That Hill (as seen on BBC Four’s The Kate Bush Story).
1989’s The Sensual World put James Joyce’s Ulysses into a musical context, 2011’s 50 Words for Snow recast her songwriting into a cold and frosty light (with some narrative help from Stephen Fry), and in 2014 this enigmatic and hermit-like pop star dazzled fans with an unexpected run of theatrical live performances that no one could have dared hope for.
Kate Bush Biography (Wikipedia)
Catherine "Kate" Bush, CBE (born 30 July 1958) is an English singer-songwriter, musician and record producer. She first came to note in 1978 when, at the age of 19, she topped the UK Singles Chart for four weeks with her debut single "Wuthering Heights", becoming the first female artist to achieve a UK number-one with a self-written song. She has since released twenty-five UK Top 40 singles, including the top ten hits "The Man with the Child in His Eyes", "Babooshka", "Running Up That Hill", "Don't Give Up" (a duet with Peter Gabriel) and "King of the Mountain". She has released ten studio albums, all of which reached the UK Top 10, including the UK number-one albums Never for Ever (1980) and Hounds of Love (1985). She is the first British solo female artist to top the UK album charts and the first female artist ever to enter the album chart at number-one.
Bush has received widespread critical acclaim for her eclectic and idiosyncratic music as well as her theatrical performances. She has been nominated 13 times for British Phonographic Industry accolades, and in 1987 she won a Brit Award for Best British Female Artist. During the course of her career, she has also been nominated for three Grammy Awards. In 2002, she was recognised with an Ivor Novello Award for Outstanding Contribution to British Music. Bush was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 2013 New Year Honours for services to music. A diverse range of artists have claimed Bush as an influence on their work.
- "I was terrified" - Kate Bush on her return to performing live after 35 yearshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04fr9b3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p04fr9b3.jpg2016-11-10T08:30:00.000ZMatt Everitt speaks exclusively to Kate Bush about her 'Before the Dawn' tour.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p04fr9cv
"I was terrified" - Kate Bush on her return to performing live after 35 years
- Billie & Me - Kate Bushhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02n3mct.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02n3mct.jpg2015-03-31T16:35:00.000ZKate Bush talks about Billie Holiday's influence and significance.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02n3mdf
Billie & Me - Kate Bush
- Kate Bush - Kashka From Baghdadhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0250xt7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0250xt7.jpg2014-08-18T15:33:00.000ZKate Bush performs Kashka From Baghdad in 1978.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0250xtw
Kate Bush - Kashka From Baghdad
- Annie Clark and Natasha Khan talk about Kate Bush's The Sensual Worldhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p025081f.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p025081f.jpg2014-08-18T14:49:00.000ZAnnie Clark (St. Vincent) and Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes) discuss The Sensual World.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0250tzq
Annie Clark and Natasha Khan talk about Kate Bush's The Sensual World
- Brett Anderson and Natasha Khan discuss Kate Bush's Hounds of Lovehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02507wv.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02507wv.jpg2014-08-18T14:45:00.000ZBrett Anderson (Suede) and Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes) discuss Hounds of Lovehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0250tts
Brett Anderson and Natasha Khan discuss Kate Bush's Hounds of Love
- Steve Coogan and Dr Katherine Angel on Kate Bush's Wowhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02505g8.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02505g8.jpg2014-08-18T14:38:00.000ZDr Katherine Angel and Steve Coogan discuss Wow by Kate Bush.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0250tk9
Steve Coogan and Dr Katherine Angel on Kate Bush's Wow
- Kate Bush nominated for the Singers Hall of Famehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0197wg7.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0197wg7.jpg2013-05-19T20:00:00.000ZRadio 2 listener Zoe Worthington in Sheffield picks Kate Bush for a place in Michael Ball's Singers Hall of Famehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0197wgf
Kate Bush nominated for the Singers Hall of Fame
Kate Bush Tracks
Latest Kate Bush News
Performances & Interviews from Similar Artists
Power of 3: Mixing It meets musicians who push the boundaries of music (59/70)
Barney Hoskyns on the Joni Mitchell anthology, Reckless Daughter
PJ Harvey - Glastonbury 2016 Highlights
Joni Mitchell - The Jazz House Pocket Legend
Tori Amos is inducted in to the Singers' Hall of Fame
'My Album Covers Are Like Tarot Cards'
Why does Miranda Sawyer love Björk?
Bjork joins Jo Whiley for a chat
Joni Mitchell - The Girl with the Guitar
Tori Amos in Session