- Clips (5)Latest ClipPete Townshend feature on A Whole Scene Going, January 1966
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Pete Townshend feature on A Whole Scene Going, January 1966http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p029sgdj.jpg2014-10-31T15:20:00ZThe Who guitarist talks honestly about the band and the music scenehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/384d6827-3b17-43bc-acf6-92e618b8ec83?clipfocus=p029sghrSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 5 mins
Pete Townshend feature on A Whole Scene Going, January 1966
- The Who: Out in the Streethttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p029sf9q.jpg2014-10-31T15:10:00ZOpening track from debut album My Generation; BBC TV, A Whole Scene Going, January 1966.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/384d6827-3b17-43bc-acf6-92e618b8ec83?clipfocus=p029sfbkSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
The Who: Out in the Street
- The Who at 50http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p029lp1w.jpg2014-10-28T19:25:00ZCerys Matthews interviews Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend of The Who.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/384d6827-3b17-43bc-acf6-92e618b8ec83?clipfocus=p029lp2rSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 14 mins
The Who at 50
- The Who: Won't Get Fooled Againhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p029lnpx.jpg2014-10-28T17:36:00ZThe Who at Kilburn 1977. Recorded at the Gaumont State Cinema, 15 December 1977http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/384d6827-3b17-43bc-acf6-92e618b8ec83?clipfocus=p029lnr6Selected ClipSelected ClipVideo 9 mins
The Who: Won't Get Fooled Again
- The Who: Join Togetherhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p029lms3.jpg2014-10-28T17:10:00ZA performance from June 1972 in front of an excited audiencehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/384d6827-3b17-43bc-acf6-92e618b8ec83?clipfocus=p029lmvnSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 4 mins
The Who: Join Together
Clips from Similar Artists
John Alec Entwistle (9 October 1944 – 27 June 2002) was an English musician, songwriter, singer, film and music producer, who was best known as the bass guitarist for the English rock band The Who. He was the only member of the band to have formal musical training. His aggressive lead sound influenced many rock bass players. He was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as a member of The Who in 1990.
Entwistle's instrumental approach used pentatonic lead lines, and a then-unusual treble-rich sound ("full treble, full volume") created by roundwound RotoSound steel bass strings. He was nicknamed "The Ox", as well as "Thunderfingers" – because his digits became a blur across the four-string fretboard. In 2011, a Rolling Stone reader poll selected him as the greatest bassist of all time. The Biography Channel has declared that John Entwistle is considered by many to be the best bass guitarist that ever lived, and that it is often said that he did for the bass what Jimi Hendrix did for the guitar.