- Clips (8)Latest ClipRavel: Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2 - Preview Clip
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- Events9 Aug - Royal Albert Hall, London, UK
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2 - Preview Cliphttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T16:07:00ZListen to an excerpt from Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p01nhn0kSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 min
Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe – Suite No. 2 - Preview Clip
- Debussy: La mer - Preview Cliphttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T15:58:00ZListen to an excerpt from Debussy's La mer.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p01nhmd7Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 min
Debussy: La mer - Preview Clip
- Krzysztof Penderecki: Concerto grosso - Preview Cliphttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T15:54:00ZListen to an excerpt from Krzysztof Penderecki's Concerto grosso.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p01nhk4tSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 min
Krzysztof Penderecki: Concerto grosso - Preview Clip
- Stravinsky: Fireworks - Preview Cliphttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01g8lp9.jpg2013-12-16T15:49:00ZListen to an excerpt from Stravinsky's Fireworks.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p01nhjcbSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 min
Stravinsky: Fireworks - Preview Clip
- Prom 43 "Tchaikovsky's Symphony 5 reminds me of a particularly grand faerie ball" @foxc on Twitterhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02ckls2.jpg2012-08-14T23:00:20ZThe Royal Philharmonic Orchestra perform Tchaikovsky's Symphony No 5.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p00xfkg2Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 1 min
Prom 43 "Tchaikovsky's Symphony 5 reminds me of a particularly grand faerie ball" @foxc on Twitter
- Prom 39 - Bach arr. Respighihttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02bnnlh.jpg2010-08-18T00:00:00ZThe Royal Philharmonic under Andrew Litton play Bach, orch. Respighi: Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor, BWV 582http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p009h152Selected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
Prom 39 - Bach arr. Respighi
- Prom 39 - Tarik O'Regan's Latent Manifesthttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02bnncn.jpg2010-08-18T00:00:00ZThe Royal Philharmonic Orchestra under Andrew Litton play Tarik O'Regan's Latent Manifest. (BBC commission: world premiere)http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p009gymzSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
Prom 39 - Tarik O'Regan's Latent Manifest
- BBC Proms: 2010: Prom 39 - Bach, orch. Stokowskihttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02bnlrw.jpg2010-08-16T00:00:00ZThe Royal Philharmonic conducted by Andrew Litton in Bach, orch. Stokowski: Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/299597ae-3a20-4bf1-973e-03704af69f6b?clipfocus=p009fs27Selected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
BBC Proms: 2010: Prom 39 - Bach, orch. Stokowski
Clips from Similar Artists
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO), based in London, was formed by Sir Thomas Beecham in 1946. In its early days the orchestra secured profitable recording contracts and important engagements including the Glyndebourne Festival Opera and the concerts of the Royal Philharmonic Society. After Beecham's death in 1961 the orchestra's fortunes declined steeply; it battled for survival until the mid-1960s, when its future was secured after an Arts Council report recommended that it should receive public subsidy; a further crisis arose in the same era when it seemed that the orchestra's right to call itself "Royal" could be withdrawn.
Since Beecham's death the RPO has had seven chief conductors, including Rudolf Kempe, Antal Doráti, André Previn and Vladimir Ashkenazy; as of 2013 the incumbent is Charles Dutoit. Others closely associated with the orchestra have included Sir Charles Groves, Sir Charles Mackerras, Peter Maxwell Davies, Yehudi Menuhin and Leopold Stokowski.
In 2004 the orchestra acquired its first permanent London base, at the new Cadogan Hall in Chelsea. The RPO also gives concerts at the Royal Festival Hall, the Royal Albert Hall and venues around the UK and other countries. From its earliest days the orchestra has been active in the recording studios, making film soundtracks and numerous gramophone recordings; many of the LP recordings conducted by Beecham and others have been reissued on compact disc.