Johann Sebastian Bach Biography (BBC)
Born in the German town of Eisenach, J. S. Bach was a chorister then violinist before taking his first organist post at Arnstadt while still a teenager. It was in Weimar, as court organist from 1708, that Bach began to produce monthly cantatas, and wrote many of his great organ works, as well as organ transcriptions of concertos by Vivaldi.
In 1717 Prince Leopold offered him the position of Kapellmeister at Cöthen, where he wrote the Brandenburg Concertos, the four Orchestral Suites and the violin concertos, and married his second wife Anna Magdalena, who bore 13 children. Bach's fearsome duties in his final job, as Kantor of the Thomasschule in Leipzig from 1723 until his death, involved teaching Latin and Music, choir-training, and writing and directing music for the services.
Nevertheless he managed also to write the Mass in B minor, the six choral Motets, The Art of Fugue, The Musical Offering and Goldberg Variations during this time. His inventive contrapuntalism became unfashionable soon after his death until the early 19th century, since when his reputation has remained unquestioned.
Profile © Edward Bhesania
Johann Sebastian Bach Biography (Wikipedia)
Johann Sebastian Bach (31 March [O.S. 21 March] 1685 – 28 July 1750) was a German composer and musician of the Baroque period. He enriched established German styles through his skill in counterpoint, harmonic and motivic organisation, and the adaptation of rhythms, forms, and textures from abroad, particularly from Italy and France. Bach's compositions include the Brandenburg Concertos, the Goldberg Variations, the Mass in B minor, two Passions, and over three hundred cantatas of which around two hundred survive. His music is revered for its technical command, artistic beauty, and intellectual depth.
Bach's abilities as an organist were highly respected during his lifetime, although he was not widely recognised as a great composer until a revival of interest in and performances of his music in the first half of the 19th century. He is now generally regarded as one of the greatest composers of all time.
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040v10k.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p040v10k.jpg2016-09-01T20:00:00.000ZWilliam Christie conducts his acclaimed ensemble Les Arts Florissants.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046n1bp
Johann Sebastian Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232
- Johann Sebastian Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (I/4: Gloria in excelsis Deo)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02xrfbv.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02xrfbv.jpg2016-09-01T20:00:00.000ZWilliam Christie conducts his acclaimed ensemble Les Arts Florissants.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p046n20z
Johann Sebastian Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (I/4: Gloria in excelsis Deo)
- Live from Edinburgh's Big Blue Tent: the Ferio Saxophone Quartet play Bachhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0447w9y.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0447w9y.jpg2016-08-10T16:49:00.000ZThe Ferio Saxophone Quartet play their arrangement of Bach's Prelude in G minor live on In Tune at the Edinburgh Festivalhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0447yy6
Live from Edinburgh's Big Blue Tent: the Ferio Saxophone Quartet play Bach
- Alban Gerhardt performs Bach live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03szbbk.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03szbbk.jpg2016-05-03T14:46:00.000ZAlban Gerhardt performs the Prelude from Bach's Cello Suite no.2 live on In Tunehttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03szcy5
Alban Gerhardt performs Bach live on In Tune
- J. S. Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ny2lt.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03ny2lt.jpg2016-04-20T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03ny3s0
J. S. Bach: Mass in B minor, BWV 232 (extract)
- Bach: Cantata No. 82, ‘Ich Habe Genug’ (extract)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxw6r.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nxw6r.jpg2016-04-19T11:00:00.000ZPreview of music performed at the BBC Proms.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nxxqn
Bach: Cantata No. 82, ‘Ich Habe Genug’ (extract)
- Bach: Concerto in C minor for Oboe, Violin and Strings, BWV1060https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03qjx9g.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03qjx9g.jpg2016-04-09T14:37:00.000ZDavid Vickers for Building a Library recommends a version of Bach's JS Bach: Violin Concertos, BWV 1041-1043 & Oboe Concerto, BWV 1060R.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03qjx9y
Bach: Concerto in C minor for Oboe, Violin and Strings, BWV1060
- Ray Chen plays the Gavotte en Rondo from Bach's Partita in E major live on In Tunehttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03q8wh1.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03q8wh1.jpg2016-04-07T09:23:00.000ZRay Chen plays the Gavotte en Rondo from Bach's Partita in E major live in the studiohttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03q8wz6
Ray Chen plays the Gavotte en Rondo from Bach's Partita in E major live on In Tune
- Antje Weithaas plays Bach live in the studiohttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nykjy.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p03nykjy.jpg2016-03-27T15:29:00.000ZAntje Weithaas plays the Sarabande from J.S. Bach's Partita No. 2 for solo violin BWV 1004 live in the In Tune studiohttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p03nylj3
Antje Weithaas plays Bach live in the studio
- J.S. Bach: Partita No.4 in D major, BWV 828https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0320qpg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0320qpg.jpg2015-09-09T12:36:00.000ZWith Yun Wei (piano). Leeds International Piano Competition 2015, semi-final. Recorded 7 September 2015.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p0320sln
J.S. Bach: Partita No.4 in D major, BWV 828
- Bach: Magnificathttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02kjpz3.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02kjpz3.jpg2015-02-21T13:54:00.000ZSimon Heighes rolls up his sleeves to investigate the available recordings of Bach's Magnificat and makes a personal recommendation.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02kjpz7
- The Armida Quartet plays Bachhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02fm4rw.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02fm4rw.jpg2015-01-09T14:50:00.000ZBBC New Generation Artists The Armida Quartet play Bach: No. 4 from 'The Art of Fugue'http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p02glbmb
The Armida Quartet plays Bach
- Bach: Mass in B Minorhttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vzyqg.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01vzyqg.jpg2014-07-11T16:19:00.000ZIn this Proms Music Guide, Suzy Klein talks about Bach’s B Minor Mass.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p022nsf3
Bach: Mass in B Minor
- Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021l89h.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p021l89h.jpg2014-06-25T10:08:00.000ZDonald Macleod explores the music of Bach's final years in Leipzighttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p021l8fl
Johann Sebastian Bach (1685-1750)
- Preludes and Fugueshttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01s4j41.jpghttps://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p01s4j41.jpg2014-05-28T19:55:00.000ZStephen Johnson explores the Preludes and Fugues of Bach and Shostakovich.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/audiovideo/popular/p01zy0lk
Preludes and Fugues
Johann Sebastian Bach Performances
Latest Johann Sebastian Bach News
Audio & Video from Similar Artists
Thomas Dausgaard on the Beethoven 1808 Academy Concert
Beethoven: 'Rasumovsky' Quartet in E minor Op.52, No.2
George Frideric Handel: Coronation Anthem 'Let thy hand be strengthened'
George Frideric Handel: Coronation Anthem 'The king shall rejoice'
George Frideric Handel: Coronation Anthem 'My heart is inditing'
George Frideric Handel: Coronation Anthem 'Zadok the Priest'
Ludwig van Beethoven: Violin Concerto in D major, Op. 61
The North Devon Sinfonia
Schubert: Rondo in A Major D951 (Encore)