- Clips (10)Latest ClipThe Waterboys
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- Events20 Aug - Unknown venue, Powys, UK
- MoreBBC News - Waistcoat tribute to Wickerman founder Jamie Gilroy
- The Waterboyshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02vrhgl.jpg2015-07-28T22:59:00ZHighlights of The Waterboys' set at Glastonbury 2015http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p02vrhhcSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 5 mins
- The Waterboys cover 'Purple Rain'http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02hz2b6.jpg2015-01-30T12:42:00ZThe Waterboys play Prince's classic track, and blow the studio away!http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p02hz2kgSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 5 mins
The Waterboys cover 'Purple Rain'
- Video: Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - Fisherman's Blueshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p019zzsj.jpg2013-06-05T10:15:00ZMike Scott and Steve Wickham perform the title track of The Waterboys' fourth album, Fisherman's Blues, for Mastertapes.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p019zztySelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 4 mins
Video: Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - Fisherman's Blues
- Video: The Waterboys' Whole of the Moon "in a jig tempo"http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p019pvll.jpg2013-06-03T15:07:00ZWaterboys Mike Scott and Steve Wickham perform The Whole of the Moon in Fisherman's Blues style.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p019xhbwSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 1 min
Video: The Waterboys' Whole of the Moon "in a jig tempo"
- Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - Mad as the Mist and Snowhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p019pw9b.jpg2013-05-30T18:13:00ZMike Scott and Steve Wickham of The Waterboys perform Mad as the Mist and Snow.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p019rsmxSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 4 mins
Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - Mad as the Mist and Snow
- Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - Saints and Angelshttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p019rpqp.jpg2013-05-30T17:12:00ZMike Scott and Steve Wickham of The Waterboys perform Saints and Angels for Mastertapes.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p019rpr2Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 5 mins
Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - Saints and Angels
- Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - I Miss The Roadhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p019pwpr.jpg2013-05-30T16:40:00ZMike Scott and Steve Wickham of The Waterboys perform their song about touring for the first time since it was recorded.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p019rnkmSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 2 mins
Mike Scott and Steve Wickham - I Miss The Road
- Fan unaware she featured in romantic Waterboys songhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p019pwr0.jpg2013-05-30T16:25:00ZMike Scott says Lindsay, who features in The Waterboys' song And a Bang on the Ear, didn't know the first verse was about her.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p019rn0hSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 3 mins
Fan unaware she featured in romantic Waterboys song
- Mike Scott chats to Mark Radcliffehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02cklh3.jpg2012-08-14T23:00:00ZMark talks to Mike Scott of The Waterboys about his newly published memoirs.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p00xfbhnSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 17 mins
Mike Scott chats to Mark Radcliffe
- Mike Scott (Waterboys) - Janice Forsyth interviewhttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02ccgwj.jpg2011-10-15T11:00:00ZWaterboys frontman Mike Scott talks to Janice about his love of the poetry of W.B. Yeats and long term project which sees the words of Yeats adapted for song in the Waterboys new album 'An Appointment with Mr Yeats'.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/21666405-49f8-44f6-94bb-e064f202f7ba?clipfocus=p00kzsppSelected ClipSelected ClipAudio 10 mins
Mike Scott (Waterboys) - Janice Forsyth interview
Clips from Similar Artists
Past BBC Events
The Waterboys are a band formed in 1983 by Mike Scott. The band's membership, past and present, has been composed mainly of musicians from Scotland, Ireland and England, with Edinburgh, London, Dublin, Spiddal, New York and Findhorn serving as homes for the group. They have explored a number of different styles, but their music is a mix of Celtic folk music with rock and roll. They dissolved in 1993 when Scott departed to pursue a solo career. They reformed in 2000, and continue to release albums and tour worldwide. Scott emphasises a continuity between The Waterboys and his solo work, saying that "To me there's no difference between Mike Scott and the Waterboys; they both mean the same thing. They mean myself and whoever are my current travelling musical companions."
The early Waterboys sound was dubbed "The Big Music" after a song on their second album, A Pagan Place. This style was described by Scott as "a metaphor for seeing God's signature in the world." It either influenced or was used to describe a number of other bands, including U2, Simple Minds, In Tua Nua, Big Country and the Hothouse Flowers In the late 1980s the band became significantly more folk influenced. The Waterboys eventually returned to rock and roll, and have released both rock and folk albums since reforming. Their songs, largely written by Scott, often contain literary references and are frequently concerned with spirituality. Both the group and its members' solo careers have received much praise from both rock and folk music critics, but The Waterboys as a band has never received the commercial success that some of its members have had independently.