- Clips (3)Latest ClipNitin Sawhney collaborates with Bassekou Kouyate
- TracksLast Played on BBC
- EventsFind events near you
- MoreSimilar Artists, Official Links
- Nitin Sawhney collaborates with Bassekou Kouyatehttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p0165slv.jpg2013-03-11T14:02:00ZA short behind the scenes look at the collaboration between Nitin Sawhney and one of Mali's premier Ngoni player Bassekou Kouyate.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/101d5966-9854-4257-8aed-8da4ac1070cd?clipfocus=p0165hjtSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 2 mins
Nitin Sawhney collaborates with Bassekou Kouyate
- Bassekou Kouyate in session for World on 3http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p014rf7m.jpg2013-02-11T15:08:00ZTracks: Jama Ko Sinaly Moustafa Jonkolonihttp://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/101d5966-9854-4257-8aed-8da4ac1070cd?clipfocus=p014ykc5Selected ClipSelected ClipAudio 36 mins
Bassekou Kouyate in session for World on 3
- Bassekou Kouyate and Amy Sacko - Falanihttp://ichef.bbci.co.uk/images/ic/240x135/p02c82lb.jpg2011-03-16T00:00:00ZBassekou Kouyate and singer Amy Sacko perform Falani, in the grounds of the BBC's Television Centre, exclusively for the Later website in 2009.http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/artists/101d5966-9854-4257-8aed-8da4ac1070cd?clipfocus=p00fpxdlSelected ClipSelected ClipVideo 3 mins
Bassekou Kouyate and Amy Sacko - Falani
Clips from Similar Artists
Past BBC Events
Bassekou Kouyaté (born in 1966 in Garana) is a musician from Mali. His band is known as Ngoni ba.
He was born in Garana, Barouéli Cercle, 60 kilometres from Ségou in 1966. At the age of 12, he started playing the Ngoni. In the late 1980s he moved to the capital Bamako.
Kouyaté's debut album Segu Blue was released internationally in 2007 by Out Here Records and distributed in the U.K. by Proper Music Distribution. The album was produced by Lucy Durán. He has also appeared on a number of albums by Toumani Diabaté and has performed in several European countries. In 2010, Kouyaté has been on tour with Béla Fleck.
Kouyaté's wife, Amy Sacko, is also a successful solo artist and sings lead in his band. His father Mustapha Kouyaté was a ngoni player and his mother Yagaré Damba was a praise singer.
Kouyate, together with wife Sacko and Ngoni Ba, appeared at The 2013 Proms.