Apology in response to Steve Messham's statement
On 2 November, Newsnight broadcast a report that looked into criticism of the North Wales Abuse Tribunal.
The report included an interview with Steve Messham, an abuse victim who said that a senior political figure of the time had abused him.
We broadcast Mr Messham's claim but did not identify the individual concerned. Mr Messham has tonight made a statement that makes clear he wrongly identified his abuser and has apologised.
We also apologise unreservedly for having broadcast this report.
The Director-General also tonight ordered the following actions:
1. A senior news executive has been sent in to supervise tonight’s edition of Newsnight
2. An apology will be carried in full on Newsnight tonight
3. Ken MacQuarrie, Director BBC Scotland, will write an urgent report for the DG covering what happened on this Newsnight investigation
4. There will be an immediate pause in all Newsnight investigations to assess editorial robustness and supervision
5. There will be an immediate suspension of all co-productions with the Bureau of Investigative Journalism across the BBC
BBC Press Office
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here