Olympic Thursday, 17 May 2012
You can find details on Twitter by following #olympicthursday and @BBC2012
Olympic Thursday, 17 May 2012:
- The Olympic Flame arrives in the UK & the start of the Torch Relay
- London Calling Track & Field special on 5 live with Jessica Ennis
- Ben Ainslie on his disappointment following his disqualification from last year's World Championships
- Olympic road race champion Nicole Cooke and Lizzie Armitstead on their rivalry
- LaShawn Merritt and Jessica Hardy on their return after drugs suspensions
- Olympic Flame Handover, 5.15-6.00pm, BBC Two and BBC News Channel
- Olympic Flame Handover live on 5 live Drive, BBC Radio 5 live, 4-7pm
- The One Show – Olympic Flame Ceremony, 7.00-8.00pm, BBC One
Ahead of the arrival of the Olympic Flame in the UK and the start of the 8000 mile Torch Relay Chris Eakin will be at the Panathenaic Stadium in Athens as the Olympic Flame is handed over to London 2012 to begin its journey to the UK and the start of the Torch Relay, simulcast live on BBC Two and BBC News Channel, 5.15-6pm.
On Friday 18 May (7-8pm), The One Show comes live from Royal Naval Air Station Culdrose in Cornwall. Chris Evans and Alex Jones host a special hour long special outside broadcast as the Olympic Flame arrives into the country from Athens on a golden aircraft. The programme will be simulcast on the News Channel from 7.30pm for the Olympic Flame Ceremony.
Anna Foster will also be live at RAF Culdrose for the arrival of the flame in an extended 5 live Drive on BBC Radio 5 live, 4-8pm.
London Calling, BBC Radio 5 live, 8.30-9.30pm
Eleanor Olyroyd hosts a London Calling Track and Field special, speaking to World and European heptathlon gold medallist Jessica Ennis. London Calling regulars Darren Campbell and Katharine Merry will also be in the studio to discuss Team GB’s Track and Field prospects with just over two months until the start of the Games.
Eleanor will also hear from triple Olympic gold medallist Ben Ainslie on his disappointment following his disqualification from last year's World Championships and his hopes of achieving a fourth successive Olympic victory.
This week on #olympicthursday / BBC Sport Online: http://www.bbc.co.uk/olympics
- Olympic road race champion Nicole Cooke and rival Lizzie Armitstead discuss their battle to lead the GB road cycling team in London (text + video)
- US Olympic 400m Champion LaShawn Merritt and swimmer Jessica Hardy on returning to their sports after doping bans (text)
- US stars Allyson Felix, Sanya Richards-Ross and others on whether Track & Field is dying in the US (text)
- Boxing legend George Foreman recalls his bloody victory at the 1968 Olympics and its aftermath (text + audio)
- Peter Elliott, 1500m silver medallist in 1988, says it is time to end Britain's wait for a major male middle distance medal (text + video)
David Beckham will bring the Olympic Flame back to the UK from the Greek capital Athens along with Princess Anne.
On Friday, live updates as the Olympic Flame arrives in the UK, plus an interview with pilot of the plane (Firefly) bringing the Flame to the UK.
From Saturday morning bbc.co.uk/2012 will be following the Torch relay every step of the way.
For 70 days, the relay will be streamed online at bbc.co.uk/2012, with continuous coverage via the BBC Torchcam (#bbctorchcam), with live text updates.
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here