Olympics Daily Bulletin - Thursday 2 August 2012

Category: Sport


BBC Sport Online continues to break records

  • A huge 7.8m UK browsers to BBC Sport Online yesterday, and 10.4m Global browsers breaking 10m for the first time
  • The top stream of the day, with 567,000 requests, on the BBC Sport Website was for the Men’s Cycling Time Trial when Bradley Wiggins won Gold and Chris Froome won Bronze
  • The top clip of the day was the badminton story “Fans upset by doubles tactics” with 427,000 requests to view

Peak audience of the day

  • Swimming remains the sport delivering the highest peaks of the day. This time it was the Michael Jamieson silver medal in the Men's 200m Breaststroke Final. 9.5m watched on BBC One at 7.35pm with a further 193,000 on Red Button Olympics 4, making a peak total of 9.7m

Team GB Medals

  • As well as the silver won in swimming, Team GB won a further 4 medals 2 of which were gold
  • Rowing was up first with gold in the Women’s Quadruple Sculls for Helen Glover and Heather Stanning. BBC One coverage had a peak of 4.1m (at 12pm) with a further 322,000 watching on RB Olympics 2, making a peak total of 4.4m. But it was actually the Men’s Eight race where Team GB won bronze that saw the highest peak for Rowing with 4.5m watching on BBC One (at 12.30pm) with a further 387,000 watching on RB Olympics 2 to make a peak total of 4.9m
  • The other medals came in the Men’s Cycling Time Trial which peaked at 6.2m on BBC One (at 4pm), this was also the peak share of the day at 50.3%. There was a further 648,000 (5.3%) watching on RB Olympics 3 to make a peak total audiences of 6.8m and a share of 55.6% at this time

BBC Three top audience

  • Team GB’s men’s football team beat Uruguay 1-0 to progress safely to the quarter finals. This gave BBC Three its top peak audience of the day and of the Olympics so far with 4.3m (at 9.35pm) and a strong audience of 987,000 watching on RB Olympics 2 to make a total peak to this football match of 5.3m

Coverage highlights for today

First Cycling Track Finals: Men’s and Women’s Team Sprint Finals

  • BBC One from 17:50 (Women’s)
  • BBC Two from 18:10 (Men’s)
  • bbc.co.uk/sport and BBC Olympics 7 from 15:55

Rowing Finals: Men’s Double Sculls, Lightweight Men’s Four and Women’s Eight

  • BBC One from 11:50
  • bbc.co.uk/sport and BBC Olympics 2 from 09:25

Swimming Finals: Women’s 200m Breaststroke, Men’s 200m Backstroke, Men’s 200m IM, Women’s 100m Freestyle

BBC One from 19:30

bbc.co.uk/sport and BBC Olympics 1 from 19:25

BBC Radio 5 live

Commentary on the moment Bradley Wiggins won Olympic gold in the individual time trial at London 2012

Helen Glover and Heather Stanning make history winning Britain's first rowing gold, and the first Team GB gold of the 2012 London Olympics