Formula 1 on the BBC for 2012
We’re really looking forward to 2012 and what promises to be another great year of Formula 1 on the BBC." Ben Gallop
Coverage includes live TV broadcast of 10 Grands Prix, including Monaco, Silverstone and the season finale from Brazil, plus extended highlights of the other 10 races. All 20 Grands Prix will be live on BBC Radio 5 live or 5 live sports extra.
The BBC’s Head of Formula 1, Ben Gallop says: "We’re really looking forward to 2012 and what promises to be another great year of Formula 1 on the BBC. With presentation from the track at every race, we’ll be there every step of the way to tell the story of the season.
“Through a mix of live coverage and extended highlights, we’ll have the best of the action from both on and off the track, plus all the news, analysis and big-name interviews.”
The following Grands Prix will be live on BBC One and BBC HD in 2012 – China (15 April), Spain (13 May), Monaco (27 May), Europe (24 June), Britain (8 July), Belgium (2 Sept), Singapore (23 April), Korea (14 Oct), Abu Dhabi (4 Nov), Brazil (25 Nov).
The BBC’s coverage of all live races remains as comprehensive as ever with all the action on and off the track across TV, HD, radio, online, red button and mobile. All three practice sessions will be live on the red button and streamed live online.
There will be full coverage of both Qualifying and Grands Prix live on BBC One and BBC One HD, plus the one-hour Sunday evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD. Once again all races and qualifying sessions that start before 10am will have a full repeat on terrestrial TV later in the day. The F1 Forum will continue on the Red Button for an hour of comment and analysis after the race programme for all live races.
For those Grands Prix not shown live on BBC TV, our current ambition is to bring the best of the action to viewers through extended highlights on BBC One and BBC One HD.*
Qualifying highlights will be 75 minutes. For early morning Grands Prix (those in the Far East time zone), two hours of highlights will be shown at 2pm, and for European time zone races, 90 minutes of highlights will be shown at 5.30pm. The full narrative of the weekend including, news, interviews, pictures and highlights of all sessions on track will also be available on the BBC Sport website and there will be live coverage of both qualifying and the race on radio.
All broadcast content will be available on the BBC iPlayer
*Highlights and Qualifying of the Hungarian Grand Prix will be shown on BBC Two as this falls during the Olympics.
Live Grands Prix
- Qualifying sessions and races live on BBC One and BBC One HD
- One hour evening highlights programme on BBC Three and BBC HD, Sundays
- All races and qualifying sessions that start before 1000 to have full repeat on terrestrial TV later in the day
- Extended highlights (90 mins) on BBC One and BBC One HD, 5.30pm for European time zone races and (120 mins) 2pm for early morning races
- Extended highlights (75 mins) BBC One and BBC One HD, Saturdays at 5.30pm for European time zone Races and 1pm for early morning races
*Hungarian Grand Prix qualifying and highlights will be on BBC Two and BBC HD
Formula 1 on BBC Radio 5 live and 5 live sports extra:
- Live commentary of every race plus coverage of practice and qualifying sessions
- 5 live Formula 1 on 5 live Sport every Friday night prior to a race, previewing all the action with expert analysis and the latest news from the track
- Chequered Flag podcast available to download at bbc.co.uk/5live with expert analysis and reaction from the circuit
- All live race on-track sessions streamed live on Red Button and on the BBC Sport website
- Interactive forum on Red Button for an hour after each live race
The BBC has a seven-year deal to broadcast F1, which runs from 2012 to 2018 inclusive.
Please note: all broadcast details subject to change
Search the site
Can't find what you need? Search here