Award-winning singer and star of the west end Alfie Boe joins a stellar musical line-up for this year’s Scottish celebrations of BBC Proms In The Park when the spectacular outdoor music event returns to Glasgow Green next month, on Saturday 7 September 2013.
The UK mulit-platinum-selling and Tony Award-winning artist, Boe will perform at the iconic outdoor event alongside a myriad of musical talent including Melanie C, the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Scottish fiddler John McCusker, Scots soprano Kate Valentine and tenor Nicky Spence, among others.
Alfie Boe will perform material from his forthcoming new album, Trust, which he recently recorded in LA, due for release in November this year. And Alfie, who last performed at Scotland Proms celebrations in Dundee in 2011, is looking forward to being part of Scotland’s Proms in the Park celebrations again: “I love being back in Scotland and can’t wait to be part of this year’s Proms In The Park – see you in Glasgow!”
As well as a performance from Alfie Boe, this year’s Scottish Proms in the Park will also feature music and imagery from Hebrides: Islands On The Edge, BBC Scotland’s acclaimed landmark natural history series.
Bringing the Proms season to a close, Scotland’s Proms in the Park is presented by BBC Scotland with support from Glasgow City Council. Tickets for Proms In The Park at Glasgow Green are on sale now costing £12.50 (£7.50 for concessions) available from Glasgow Concert Halls Box Office on 0141 353 8000 or online at bbc.co.uk/promsinthepark. Please note, box office charges and standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply.
Proms In The Park sees the spectacular culmination of the BBC Proms season, as the world-famous Last Night celebrations spill out from London’s Royal Albert Hall with thousands of people coming together at venues across the UK, including Scotland’s Glasgow Green. As well as an array of musicians, the Glasgow Proms in the Park evening of entertainment culminates in a live big-screen link-up to the Royal Albert Hall for the traditional singalong.
The first half of Proms in the Park Scotland will be broadcast on BBC Two Scotland from 7.30 to 9.00pm. The concert will also feature live on BBC Radio Scotland. Highlights from all of the UK Proms in the Park will be on BBC Four and on the red button. There will also be coverage on BBC Radio Scotland as well as on the BBC iPlayer: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer
BBC PROMS IN THE PARK – GLASGOW GREEN LAST NIGHT CELEBRATIONS
Saturday 7 September 2013, 7.30pm.
Tickets available from bbc.co.uk/promsinthepark or by calling 0141 353 8000 (box office charges and standard geographic charges from landlines and mobiles will apply).
Tickets cost £12.50, £7.50 for concessions.
Tickets are also available to buy in person from Glasgow Royal Concert Hall and Glasgow City Hall box offices
Notes to editors
Alfie Boe biography
- Born in Fleetwood, Lancashire, he started his career as an acclaimed opera tenor, with leading roles at English National Opera, Welsh National Opera, Scottish National Opera and performances at The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, subsequently winning a Tony Award for his role in Baz Luhrmann's La Boheme on Broadway.
- In 2010, he took the world by storm when he played the role of Jean Valjean in the 25th Anniversary Performance of Les Miserables at London's 02 Arena, which has been seen by millions around the world, followed by six months performing the role at The Queens Theatre, London.
- His autobiography was on The Sunday Times Bestseller list at number two.
- Last Summer, he performed for The Queen at her Diamond Jubilee Concert at Buckingham Palace.
- He has now sold over one million records in the UK, had three Top 10 albums, two massive sell-out tours, a run of US dates with PBS and has just completed a sold-out UK Arena Tour.
I love being back in Scotland and can’t wait to be part of this year’s Proms In The Park – see you in Glasgow!”