bbc.co.uk
Home
Explore the BBC

28 October 2014
2002 News Banner

BBC Homepage
England
Manchester
» 2002
News
Baton
Events
Festival
Nations
Interactive
Talkback
Tickets
Venues
Volunteers
Who's Who
Links 

Contact Us


Wednesday 19th June 2002
Baton snatch man charged

Baton continuing safely

A 35-year-old man has been charged by police after the Queen's Jubilee Baton was grabbed from a runner's hand.

The baton was snatched as Wrexham runner Daniel Wilkinson passed through the town of Connah's Quay, in North Wales, on Saturday afternoon.

The man arrested by police has been charged with using threating, insulting and abusive language and behaviour, following the incident outside The Boathouse public house.

A North Wales Police spokesman said: "A man took the baton from one of the runners. "He was arrested at the scene by police and members of the public and the baton was recovered from him."

Queen's Jubilee Baton Relay spokeswoman Jackie Brock-Doyle said "One of the people in the crowd came out and grabbed the baton but security guards were there immediately and the runner was fine," she said. "I think it was probably high jinks by people who had been watching the football."

Click here for the full UK route or read Harriet's Diary as she follows the baton.

Top of page
Must see
Spirit of Friendship Festival
Tickets
Venues
E-mail

manchester.online @bbc.co.uk

 


About the BBC | Help | Terms of Use | Privacy & Cookies Policy