Uncapped gas pipe
Bad bedsits in Bexley
Matt Cooke, BBC London
A landlord who rented out a 'dangerous' property as bedsits has been handed a six figure fine after being successfully prosecuted by Bexley council.
All landlords have a duty to make sure their properties are safe for tenants, including safe gas and electrical installations and adequate fire precautions.
However, in November 2007, inspections by Environmental Health officers found a property in Bexley failing to meet basic safety requirements.
Defective light fixture
The owner and manager of a three storey, eight bedroom property in Sidcup pleaded guilty to 22 offences relating to the 'dangerous' condition of the bedsits he was letting out to the public.
Inspections revealed gas pipes left uncapped in bedrooms, dangerous electrics and a lack of 'adequate fire precautions.'
The rooms were 'badly maintained' and had 'filthy bathrooms' with a lack of hot water to kitchen and sinks.
Ludomir Szulc who owns Priestlands Manor in Bexley was fined a total of £99,000 plus costs of £5,835 at Bexley Magistrates' Court.
Cllr John Waters who looks after regeneration in Bexley said: "this excellent result sends out a clear message to landlords that they must take responsibility for the management of their properties to ensure the health, safety and welfare of their tenants."
"I thought this sort of irresponsible behaviour had been stamped out decades ago, and I am delighted that the court has imposed a very heavy penalty."
Socks used to cover up broken window
'Failed to do so'
The owner had said he intended to redevelop the property into luxury self-contained flats, but failed to do so.
He was prosecuted under the Management of Houses in Multiple Occupation Regulations in 2006.
last updated: 01/12/2008 at 13:20