Like this page?
Send it to a friend!
Tour de France
Fascinating Facts about cycling in London
Find out more about cycling in the capital as London prepares to host the 2007 Tour De France
• The number of cycle journeys on London's major roads has risen by 83 per cent since 2000
• There are now an estimated 480,000 cycle journeys every day across London, around 30,000 more than a year ago.
• In the past two years Transport for London – the Mayor of London’s transport agency - has installed 10,000 new cycle parking spaces in London. In Finsbury Park TFL installed the award winning Finsbury Park Cycle Parking Facility which is a 24 hour secure facility for 125 bikes
• 500kms of the London Cycle Network Plus - a network of signed routes for cyclists across the capital - has already been completed and the full 900km network will be completed by the end of 2010.
• Transport for London is continuing its campaign to increase safety awareness for all road users, including cyclists, and while cycling numbers have risen by 83 per cent, the number of cyclists killed or seriously injured on London's roads has fallen by 28 per cent. Transport for London is investing £2.8 million in cycle training through the boroughs this year. Before 2000, when Transport for London was created, there was no support for cycle training in London.
• The Mayor of London and Transport for London have increased investment in cycling by 50 per cent this year from £24 million in 2006/to £36 million this year. This is spent on cycling facilities, training and education. This year TFL will spend £1.8 million on free cycle training for Londoners through the London Boroughs.
• TFL provides 19 free cycle maps which cover the entire city. They can be ordered from www.tfl.gov.uk/cycles. TFL’s Journey Planner has a cycle only option and creates a route from and to anywhere in the capital
• Cycling is growing faster in London than is any other city in Europe.
• Cycling is a fast, free, healthy and environmentally friendly way to get around the capital.
last updated: 06/07/07