The Valley was built in a disused chalk pit in Charlton Village with help of their fans in 1919.
For many years Charlton had one of biggest grounds in Britain and held a record attendance of 75,031 vs Aston Villa in the FA Cup 5th Round, 1938. Many people say that games against local team Woolwich Arsenal attracted much higher unofficial gates.
Charlton left The Valley in September 1985 and ground shared with Crystal Palace's Selhurst Park.
Just over a year was also spent at West Ham's Upton Park ground from August 1991.
Charlton fans formed a political party - the Valley Party, with one sole objective of returning to The Valley after Greenwich Council refused planning permission.
The Valley Party, contested 60 out of 62 seats in the 1990 local elections for Greenwich Borough Council. They gained nearly 11% of the vote with an amazing 14,838 votes.
April 2nd 1991, Greenwich Council approved permission at Woolwich Town Hall.
The Valley is now a modern 26,500 all seater stadium with further expansion planned in the future.