Like this page?
Send it to a friend!
Detail of Brompton cemetery
Brompton Cemetery, originally known as "The West of London and Westminster Cemetery" was designed by Benjamin Baud.
The 40-acre site has a formal layout and contains a chapel, based on St Peter's Basilica in Rome, situated in the middle.
Previously the land had been owned by Lord Kensington. An additional 4.5 acres was obtained, from the Equitable Gas Company, in 1844 enabling the cemetery to have access to Fulham Road.
Brompton became the first and only London cemetery under government control.
On 13 June 1892, the American Sioux Indian Chief, Long Wolf, was buried at Brompton Cemetery.
He died of bronchial pneumonia whilst touring Europe with Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, aged 59.
Tomb at Brompton Cemetery
This was a sad death of a man who had led a glorious life leading his braves in the Sioux Wards against the 'paleface'. Long Wolf's body remained in London for over a century, until a British woman, Elizabeth Knight, a Worcestershire housewife stepped in.
She had read a second-hand book by Robert Cunningham Grahame that included a description of Long Wolf's life and burial and described the "neglected grave in a lone corner of a crowded London cemetery." She decided to trace his family, before campaigning with them to have him returned to South Dakota, the land of his fathers.
In 1997, Chief Long Wolf was finally moved to a new plot in the Wolf Creek Community Cemetery at Pine Ridge, South Dakota, to rejoin his people on their happy hunting grounds.
last updated: 09/04/2008 at 14:44