receipt for the interment of Mr John Harris, aged 42 years.
Buried 25th September 1892.
Kindly supplied by Jean Parker, the great great granddaughter
of John Harris. The cost of the burial is 30 shillings.
50,000 burials have taken place in this cemetery during its century
of use.The most famous inhabitant of the cemetery is William Huskisson,
who is the first person to be killed by a train.
tomb will be renovated to make it more of a feature.
died on September 15th 1830, at Parkside Station during the official
opening of the Liverpool to Manchester Railway.
tomb is in the main body of the cemetery and will be undergoing
renovations in the furture to open it to the public.
maps in Liverpol give great prominence to the number of fine churches
around the city. But as the centre grew, residents moved out and
many churches closed. The land they stood on became valuable, although
they still contained the last resting places of thousands of people.
In l885, the Dock Road at St. George’s Gate was widened and bodies
were removed from St. Nicholas Churchyard and reburied in Everton
l892, St. Peter’s Church in Church Street was demolished and forty
thousand bodies were removed. There is a gold cross set in the ground
in Church Street to mark the spot.
sorting office in Copperas Hill is on the site of St. Nicholas R.C.,
demolished in l973. The authorities were surprised to find a second
graveyard under the surface one - two thousand bodies had to be
cremated. Many gardens occupy former cemeteries. What remains of
"St. Nick’s" churchyard provides a welcome green space for office
signature at the bottom is that of Charles Bird, clerk to the
cemetery whose grave is in St. James's. He died in 1909, aged
77 years and followed in the family tradition, as his father
Joshua 1798 - 1866, was clerk to the cemetery for 20 years.
John’s Gardens was originally a graveyard from the old St. John’s
Church, built in l784. The burial ground was closed in l865, having
received 82,500 souls. The Church was demolished 4 years later to
make way for the gardens. And of course, St. James cemetery was
designated in l829, from its former use as a quarry. Burials ceased
to take place there in l970.
cost of internment was one pound.
Gravestones and plots were paid for separately. The next two documents
relate to the grave of Mrs Hannah Penrith. One is a bill for the interment
of Mrs Hannah Penrith. The other is the bill for the headstone. Both
of these documents were supplied by Helen Adelsbury.
letters cost 2d each and small letters 1d.