STREET. In 1523 Sir William Molyneux erected a tithe barn to collect
produce, received as tithes in Liverpool and Kirkdale..The actual
site of the barn was on the corner of Cheapside, on the south side
of Tithebarn street. The main structure and oak roof could still be
seen up to the late 1900s.
STREET takes its name from St. Peter’s, which was consecrated
in l704. It was the first building erected in that area until the
mid 18th century. In l830 the church was endowed with 10 bells.
It was demolished in l923, to be replaced by a department store!
STREET, which was originally a rope walk, was named after Jonah
Bold whose family were landowners.
STREET. Thomas Seel gave his name to the thoroughfare which
runs up from Hanover Street. It was laid out in l790. A catholic
church was built there in l792.
STREET is thought to mark the victories of the Duke of Cumberland,
especially the Battle of Culloden.
BROWN STREET, The making of pottery was centred on Shaw’s Brow
(now William Brown Street), by Samuel Shaw.
was the old name for Copper Sulphate, which was produced at works
owned by the Hughes family - hence, Copperas Hill.
STREET was named after Admiral Rodney, to mark his victory over
the French fleet in l782.
KILNS which gave Lime Street its name were on the site of the
present station. Fumes from the kilns were said to affect patients
in the nearby infirmary, and in l804, the works were rebuilt, on
Lime Kiln Lane.