Street is one of Liverpool’s earliest, and still most important
streets..as important today with its one way roaring traffic as
it was in early medieval times when it led away from the centre
of the old borough, down into the "dale" at the head of
the creek of Liverpool.
the area of what is now the old Mersey Tunnel entrance, the medieval
track, the lane - dipped into a shallow valley which is where it
gets its name - and across up the hill to London Road, the way to
Warrington and all points south. In the mid 19th century sewer excavations
uncovered a wild boar’s head in this vicinity, so you can imagine
how rural this area was.
is first mentioned in a deed of 1328 in the reign of Edward III
and like the other medieval streets, the townsfolk had their plots
originally assigned by the King’s Bailiff. Henceforth these were
known as burgage plots, strips of land with a dwelling in front
and a garden behind. It was these plots, as they gradually became
used for other purposes, that provided the most important element
in the structure of the town’s layout into the early 18th century.
Plot owners names were often associated with the new streets and
lanes built through them.. Hattons Gardens, Cross Hall Street etc.
Street remained for much of its life a narrow and crowded thoroughfare,
little wider than today’s Cable Street. However, by the 19th century,
something had to be done and at great expense, Dale Street was widened
several times. It was also the principal location for the large
packhorse and coaching inns which provided lodgings and board for
travellers and changes of horse for the coaches. . These included
names long gone such as the Saracen’s Head, the Golden Lion, the
Golden Fleece, the Woolpack - all taken down during the commerical
expansion of the 19th century.