the courts moved in the 1980’s to their current buildings, St George’s
Hall was left unloved, unused and under funded for nearly 20 years.
Then in the early 1990’s money began to trickle in to attempt to
repair the crumbling building.It is soon to be closed in parts for
complete refurbishment to return it to its former glory.
the hall was built the site was occupied by the first Liverpool
Infirmary from 1749 to 1824. It also included a Seaman's Hospital,
Medical Library and Lunatic Asylum. The seaman's hospital was mainly
supported by a levy of sixpence a month, which was deducted from
the pay of the seamen sailing in the ships registered in Liverpool.
foundation stone of St George's Hall was laid in 1838 to commemorate
the coronation of Queen Victoria, but the actual building of the
hall did not start until 1842.
idea for the hall came from Liverpool citizens who were concerned
about the lack of a place for the triennial music festivals. To
fund it a subscription list was set up with shares available at
£25 each and by January 1837 £23,350 had been raised.
However as usual, when building work commenced it went over budget.
the same time a venue was being sought for the Civil and Crown Courts
and fortuitously the same architect was employed to design both
buildings so it was decided that one building would serve all needs.
is possibly the only building where you could be tried for murder,
have a ball or listen to a concert all under one roof.