inspiration for the design is Roman - complete with doors including
the letters S.P.Q.L. which are an adaptation of ‘Senatus Populusque
Romanus’ and mean to the Senate and People of Liverpool!
not called The Great Hall for nothing.
The hall is
169 feet long including recesses at both ends and 74 feet wide including
balconies. The long sides of the hall are divided in 5 bays by columns
made of polished porphyry.
This was added by Cockerell and was intended as the musical foundation
for events in the hall. The addition of the organ required that
2 of the original granite columns be removed, these were eventually
transferred to the entrance of Sefton Park.
us a tune on the old joanna.
for the organ were originally powered by the steam engine in the
basement but in 1931 the organ was enlarged to 120 stops (from 100)
and converted to electro-pneumatic action.
The first organist was Mr WT Best in 1855, after the opening. The
refurbishment of the organ will cost nearly £500,000 and is aimed
to be completed in line with the other works.
is made of two sections. The central sunken section and the outside
border. Made of encaustic tiles by Minton there are an estimated
30,000 tiles used. The difference in wear between the two sections
is due to the decision taken in 1860 to cover the central well with
a wooden floor to provide a more suitable surface for dancing.