The City of Lincoln Waites
The City Waites were a group of musicians used by the Mayor of Lincoln for civil engagements until 1857.
The City of Lincoln Waites are a group of musicians who recreate the sights and sounds of an early Municipal Band.
The first records of the Mayor of Lincoln sponsoring minstrels was in 1398 and Lincoln's last Waite, Selby Dickinson, died in 1857. Selby Dickinson's silver Waite's Badge is still held by the City and can be seen in the strong room at the Guildhall (Stonebow) during public opening hours.
The current Band play the music, and dress in the clothes, of the late 15th century - around 1470 - 1490. The new Waites Band was formed in 2007 when Al Garrod persuaded some of his friends to join him in this exciting and colourful musical adventure. Their first public performance was in September 2007, when they played for a civic procession on the occasion of former Mayor, Cllr Hilton Spratt, switching on the City's Christmas lights.
The Third Festival of the International Guild of Town Pipers.
The Guild is a group of musicians and academics who wish to promote "early music" - in particular the music of European Municipal Bands, or "Waites". Previous festivals have taken place in Holland and in York, but this year the festival is coming to Lincoln. Lincoln was chosen because of it's history and it's beautiful old buildings but also to acknowledge and encourage the City of Lincoln Waites, as they are a newly formed band.
18th December 2008 - recreating the procession, music and proclamations of one of Lincoln's oldest customs - "Crying Christmas".
last updated: 28/10/2008 at 14:33