a princely £28,000, the canal became a major thoroughfare
for the town, adding to the wealth generated from the wool trade.
was over eleven miles in length, extending from Louth Riverhead
to Tetney and eight locks were incorporated to overcome the forty
six feet differential in levels involved. Trade through the canal
was brisk and there were regular sailings to London and Hull and
other local ports.
1920 disaster struck the prosperous town when the river and canal
flooded, destroying large areas of Louth and killing 23 people.
The waterway finally closed in 1924, after a period of decline following
the opening of the railway.
18th century wool warehouse at the head of the canal is now a restaurant
and public meeting place and houses an excellent display of the
canal. Although the waterway itself is no longer navigable, the
towpaths have been restored and make a fine walk out of town.
the Louth skyline is the parish church of St James. With its 300
foot tower standing high above the town, it is the most famous landmark
in the immediate area. Other historic buildings include a number
of coaching inns, as well as fine period houses in Westgate and
town sits on the Greenwich meridian and a small plaque in Eastgate
marks the line.
Take a pop-up tour of Louth